Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME or Further Education Dip

Options
  • 07-04-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi - I was going to apply for the PME with Hibernia but recently learned about the Further Education qualifications approved by the Teaching Council.

I'm already registered with TC for FE (Business, HR & French) but feel an actual teaching qualification would give me better job prospects. The PME is also recognised by the TC for Further Education.

Ultimately my preference would be to teach at Further Education level but I know jobs at all levels are scarce so perhaps it's better to expand my options. So my dilemma is whether I should :

1) do the PME (more expensive (12k+), an extra year of study, but perhaps better job opportunities as I would also be qualified to teach at secondary level as well as further education level).

Or

2) do the one year FE Dip (cheaper (4.5k+), one year only part-time, but this would only allow me to teach at FE level which I am already registered for (although I'm sure the qualification would help for interviews etc/job placement etc).

What would you do or do you have any words of advice?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

You mention job opportunities/prospects quite a bit. I am afraid they are almost like hens teeth in secondary at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

Many thanks Maynooth Rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Sorry to sound miserable, but speaking from experience it is a very very tough job situation. You have decent subjects though which may help though. Good luck whichever you choose

Advertisement