Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidons

Options
  • 07-04-2015 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How often do you bin them and get new ones?

I was talking to a friend at the weekend, he coaches under age soccer, and he was telling me how the FAI mandate that soccer clubs bin them after 6 months for health reasons - carcinogenics, etc.

Just got me wondering what others on here do.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I religiously wash them when whats inside becomes hairy.

but approx yearly (or sooner if they fail and start dripping)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    How often do you bin them and get new ones?

I was talking to a friend at the weekend, he coaches under age soccer, and he was telling me how the FAI mandate that soccer clubs bin them after 6 months for health reasons - carcinogenics, etc.

Just got me wondering what others on here do.

P.
    Plastic #1: Polyethylene Tereohthalate (PET or PETE)
    Common Uses: 2-liter soda bottles, cooking oil bottles, peanut butter jars, detergent bottles. Most common for single-use bottled beverages, such as water or juice. Low risk of leaching and health hazards unless used more than once.

Plastic #2: High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
    Common Uses: Detergent bottles, milk jugs, shampoo bottles, butter and yogurt tubs. Lowest risk of leaching, least toxic, no known health hazards.

Plastic #3: Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
    Common Uses: Plastic pipes, outdoor furniture, shrink-wrap, water bottles, salad dressing bottles, window cleaner and liquid detergent containers. Contains chlorine, can release dangerous dioxins and phthalates. Never burn PVC plastic, as burning will release toxins.

Plastic #4: Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
    Common Uses: Dry-cleaning bags, produce and grocery bags, trash can liners, food storage containers, most plastic wraps. No known health hazards.

Plastic #5: Polypropylene (PP)
    Common Uses: Bottle caps, drinking straws, some baby bottles. Has a higher melting point so is used for containers that come in contact with hot liquid. No known health hazards.

Plastic #6: Polystyrene (PS)
    Common Uses: Packaging pellets or “Styrofoam peanuts,” disposable cups, plates and plastic tableware, meat trays, carryout containers, egg cartons. Can leach toxins into foods.

Plastic #7: Other
    Common Uses: 5-gallon water bottles, clear plastic sippy cups, certain food and beverage containers, some Tupperware, some clear plastic cutlery, clear baby bottles, food can linings. Usually contains polycarbonate product (BPA).

bottles.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

I was just thinking about this the other day. After a while, specially if you use any of the protein/ carbs mixes etc, they stink and it's impossible to remove the odours...so we replace them as soon as they start to smell.
    Apparently BPA in plastics leaks in to the drinks and it's quite dangerous...know nothing about it, but from having kids, I know all bottles now are BPA free, not sure about bidons yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this the other day. After a while, specially if you use any of the protein/ carbs mixes etc, they stink and it's impossible to remove the odours...so we replace them as soon as they start to smell.
    Apparently BPA in plastics leaks in to the drinks and it's quite dangerous...know nothing about it, but from having kids, I know all bottles now are BPA free, not sure about bidons yet!

They are.

Look at the bottle, the triangle, if the bidon was sourced in europe, is 04

Advertisement