Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice, ice baby...

Options
  • 07-04-2015 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

There's a long time poster here who always poo-pooed the notion of ice as a recovery tool. Not gonna say who, cos even when we disagree (generally he is right, most of the time) it is still good healthy debate.

Anyway it looks like he was right..

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/do-ice-baths-block-training-gains
    The microscopic muscle damage and accompanying inflammation incurred by training, the thinking goes, is actually the stimulus that tells your body to adapt and get stronger. So if you use an ice bath to suppress that inflammation, you're actually suppressing your training responses.

Stick to ice in your recovery smoothie by the looks of things.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thank god for that. I tried it once and left it to the masochists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Saw that a while back alright but I think it's only getting traction now because of the link you posted. I'd never be one for ice baths. I barely hit the OW never mind an ice batch!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

is that brett sutton you are talking about ;-0

while i never belive in ice baths iam most happy that my gym now has an ice making machine in the sauna area as hot and cold is fantastic.
    AKW wrote: »
    There's a long time poster here who always poo-pooed the notion of ice as a recovery tool. Not gonna say who, cos even when we disagree (generally he is right, most of the time) it is still good healthy debate.

Anyway it looks like he was right..

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/do-ice-baths-block-training-gains

Stick to ice in your recovery smoothie by the looks of things.

Advertisement