Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell issue

Options
  • 06-04-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

So i'm getting first hand experience of the 'dell hell', although it doesn't seem as bad as others thankfully. This is my second Dell laptop - and will be the last at this rate. Basically it appears that there is a lose wire or something in the battery adapter as the laptop will randomly and sparodically decide the the ac adapter is not plugged in (when it is) and start to drain the main battery. It can take a lot of fiddling around, putting adapter in & out repeatedly to get it to stay registering on ac power.

I have been onto Dell email support since Jan about this. In Feb they said the part was faulty and were going to send a new one and then changed their minds when they realised it was the ac adapter and not the actual battery and instead got me to do more trouble shooting to see if that would solve the problem - which is hasn't as it has reoccured. Now the Dell support want me to go through all the same trouble shooting again, updating bios etc which i already did the first time. I have referred them to the previous two case numbers and have said i want a new adapter to be sent, but what are my options if they still won't? It is all still under warranty and i am starting to feel like they are trying to string this out until the warranty expires.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Did you buy the laptop direct from Dell or through a reseller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Direct from dell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ok good so you're dealing directly with the seller. Under consumer law there is an obligation on the seller to resolve issues without significant inconvenience to the consumer.

At this stage I'd be fairly peeved off with the dragging out and I would write to Dell detailing the case history and the lack of satisfactory resolution. I would also state how this is causing you significant inconvenience and that you require a permanent satisfactory resolution within 10 working days. I'd also advise them that if this is not resolved to your satisfaction you will initiate a claim through the Small Claims Court.

If nothing happens then follow through with the SCC. It only costs you €25 and you can lodge a claim on-line.
    SCC webpage

PS don't worry about the guarantee expiring before this is sorted since you've already reported the issue well in advance of its expiry.

I should add, all this goes out the window if Dell can show the problem is caused by unreasonable use as opposed to a defect or poor durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I have the same issue occasionally with a Dell laptop, usually taking the cable out and plugging it back in or rotating in the socket will solve it. In my case it's caused by dirt/corrosion on either the socket or the connector as the charger and socket is not used often (usually charges in office docking station) and it's in a high humidity environment. Suggest checking the connector inner and outer as well as the laptop socket for contamination or corrosion.

Advertisement