Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Jointer Planer on the market?

Options
  • 06-04-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm currently in the process of setting up a mid sized wood working shop and I will be buying tools in the coming weeks.
    The first tool that I will be purchasing is a Jointer planer. A few different brands are available in tool stores throughout Ireland with varying prices. Charnwood, Sip, Jet and Scheppach seem to be the most popular though.
    Thing is, which of these is best? I don't mind paying a little more for the right one. And a 10" × 7" machine is the size I'm going for. It'll be used for planing medium sized lengths of oak, Ash etc.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Woodcraft

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If u have 3 phase consider a second hand Wadkin with cast iron tables.
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of the internet, most of the makes you list are ..... at the best of times.

Also you mention jointer planer, however the 10 by 7 suggests a planer thicknesser and the consensus is that if you go for such a weapon, it should not need one of the tables to be removed to use the thicknesser

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paulquirke1986

If u have 3 phase consider a second hand Wadkin with cast iron tables.
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of the internet, most of the makes you list are ..... at the best of times.

Also you mention jointer planer, however the 10 by 7 suggests a planer thicknesser and the consensus is that if you go for such a weapon, it should not need one of the tables to be removed to use the thicknesser

Most of the makes I list are what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Scheppach have changed their range in the past few years but they have a few advantages. The rollers are rubber which does not mark the wood and they are set close together letting you thickness wood as short as 100mm
    OK, they are mid industrial but the range now has cast iron tables.
    I have two and they are bulletproof, so I would have no problem recommending second hand bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

recipio wrote: »
    Scheppach have changed their range in the past few years but they have a few advantages. The rollers are rubber which does not mark the wood and they are set close together letting you thickness wood as short as 100mm
    OK, they are mid industrial but the range now has cast iron tables.
    I have two and they are bulletproof, so I would have no problem recommending second hand bargains.

+1 on Scheppach..... I have the HMS260 which I bought in 2002 and have worked it quite hard, mostly on hardwoods. Had to change the capacitor in it and replace the knife holding screws, but given the work it's had to do, it's been great - would get one again should this one ever die!

• Advertisement
Advertisement