Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a GPS app thats not google maps...

Options
  • 06-04-2015 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

One of my relations will be doing a lot of driving in the uk in the next while and is looking for gps/satnav app recommendations paid or unpaid for their android phone. They wont have a data connection while there so it has to be an offline app.

I use google maps but that needs a data connection at the start of the trip.

I have also used navmii, which is good and offline, but i hesitate to recommend it to them as its recent few updates have made it so bad, routes taking two or three mins to recalculate / serious battery usage even when charging.

Anyone recommend a decent offline alternative that can be trusted? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Here maps now on android I think. Offline support. Though I haven't tried it in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Have used here a few times, found it taking me down some dodgy one car roads lately. just try zoom out and make sure the roads are the bigger ones and you should be ok ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I've used navfree / navmii in UK free with offline navigation https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

https://www.sygic.com/gps-navigation/features

Never used it, but I've used another of their apps which was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Have a look at co pilot, just as good as a purpose gps but on your phone and no need for data connection. Bought it last year for whole of Europe for €35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Have a look at co pilot, just as good as a purpose gas but on your phone and no need for data connection. Bought it last year for whole of Europe for €35

Here maps is pretty good, more accurate in UK too as they use postcodes much more than us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Can you not download maps for offline use in Google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How much is a lot of driving? If it's going to be weeks of driving, maybe a UK sim or a Three sim (using the free Three like home roaming) and Google maps is their best bet? The route suggestions and on the fly alternative faster/slower updates en route are brilliant, especially if you're under any kind of time pressure.

I've heard a lot of recommendations for Waze but I believe that needs data too. Never had a chance to check it out myself, but the navigation with Google is brilliant, would be nice if the app itself had more options to further customise it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

OSMAND https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en

Free version gives you 10 map downloads for offline use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

My favourite
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.route66.maps5&hl=en

Maps are free, guided navigation is free for 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

Here maps now on android. they are best alternative to Google maps. You can download offline maps. so no data required. and they very good as well. in some cases even better than Google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

+1 for Here maps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

HERE maps no question about it. Download your maps and free off-line navi..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Someone mentioned HERE has a few advantages over Google Maps, do any in particular stand out?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭steadyeddie08

Used HERE MAPS for android in France last week. Download map for free and turn on GPS( so no data use) with turn by turn navigation.

Was very accurate and would expect UK maps to be as good.
    Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I used an old phone with a three sim in it a while back. It also doubled as a WiFi hotspot (but don't tell Three ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Copilot is very good.I have UK and IE for free. Then there are app purchases for addons (unless it changed now, I have had it for years).

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

cormie wrote: »
    Someone mentioned HERE has a few advantages over Google Maps, do any in particular stand out?

The winner for me is the ability to use large maps offline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I've changed my mind.. Very impressed by Here! available free on Android and IOS

I like the way it actually states the name of the road, rather than just the directions..

• Advertisement
Advertisement