Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken iPhone 6 - meteor charging for repair

Options
  • 06-04-2015 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all, purchased an iPhone 6 last Thursday, a few days later it slips off my couch to the floor and is seriously banjaxed, inside screen is cracked. I brought it back to Meteor who said I broke it and have to pay the €250 charged to have it repaired.

Now I accept my portion of the responsibility for not having insurance, but the more I look at the consumer law it seems the phone just wasn't fit for purpose if a two foot fall onto carpet could crack the screen.

I have an iPhone 4 before and even asked was it more fragile than that when buying the new phone and I was told it wasn't.

Do I have grounds to insist they repair it free of charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You really don't unless the purpose of the device is to be thrown onto the floor. The purpose of the device is to make calls and go on the internet not survive fall damage.

Iphones are extremely expensive and extremely delicate pieces of equipment. You will have to pay the repair charge in this instance. Your interpretation of consumer law here is way wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sherlof3 wrote: »
    Hi all, purchased an iPhone 6 last Thursday, a few days later it slips off my couch to the floor and is seriously banjaxed, inside screen is cracked. I brought it back to Meteor who said I broke it and have to pay the €250 charged to have it repaired.

Now I accept my portion of the responsibility for not having insurance, but the more I look at the consumer law it seems the phone just wasn't fit for purpose if a two foot fall onto carpet could crack the screen.

I have an iPhone 4 before and even asked was it more fragile than that when buying the new phone and I was told it wasn't.

Tell me, if you go to a local car dealership and buy a car and drive it for a week. Then one day in your driveway, you don't engage the hand break correctly, your new car rolls back and you get a small dent and a crakced row of rear view lights.

Would you then go back to the dealership and tell them to fix it. No? Well its the same with phones and computers.

Fit for purpose does not include dropping if its made of glass for crying out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Homer

Jesus this is why I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

but the more I look at the consumer law it seems the phone just wasn't fit for purpose if a two foot fall onto carpet could crack the screen.

I'm curious what part of consumer law makes you believe this,

I honestly don't see how, you dropped it and they have only your word that it was a small 2 foot fall onto carpet.

Also this doesn't take into account any previous falls or misstreatment you may have inflicted on the item which may have caused a previous crack or something.

All in all it come across as user created damage, nothing more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

This has to be a joke. If not you are the reason I started my life in retail as a happy young man, eager to please everyone to being an unmotivated hater of life.

I PRESUME YOUR AN ADULT, ACCEPT YOU FUDGED UP, AND PUT IT DOWN TO EXPERIENCE

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - a reminder to stay civil. Remember to attack the post, and not the poster. Personal digs will not be tolerated.

@ssmith6287 infracted for uncivil behaviour. Also, please watch the use of caps lock. It's the internet equivalent of shouting.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

It a straight case of user damage, I can see no reason for the retailer to repair it free of charge.

I would recommend you purchase a decent case for the iPhone 6 and in this instance would likely have saved you a couple of hundred euro.

Dropping the phone is not wear and tear so the phone is fit for purpose. If you purchased your iPhone with a credit card it might be covered by your Credit Card insurance, you would need to check the small print to see if this is the case.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Is it April 1st again?

Sorry OP, but as you see from most people's responses you are clutching at straws.

Unless the Iphone says it is suitable for being dropped, then you have no case whatsoever. (there are some phones that are built to withstand drops)

But possible good news -

You may be cobvered under your household insurance (accidental damage)
    or you may be covred under accidental damage insurance if you ahve such benefits on your visa/mastercard (can be debit card or credit card) if that insurance is included with your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

go to apple directly it should be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did you take out the ridiculously overpriced insurance that mobile companies offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Hi all thanks for your feedback! Thought that would be the case, I will send it back to Apple. No luck with the home insurance :(

Hi all - thanks for the responses - just thought I would update you. Apple repaired this free of charge for me when I explained what happened. I now have a sparkly new phone! So worth chancing your arm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This time get an otter case and insurance.

Yep all sorted on that front!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi all - thanks for the responses - just thought I would update you. Apple repaired this free of charge for me when I explained what happened. I now have a sparkly new phone! So worth chancing your arm :)

Says it all really

Advertisement