Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayflowers flowering.

Options
  • 06-04-2015 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

In the middle of a heavy hailstone shower the other day I sheltered under a bush and came across a small bunch of Mayflowers.
    A lovely scent from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

In the middle of a heavy hailstone shower the other day I sheltered under a bush and came across a small bunch of Mayflowers.
    A lovely scent from them.

Probably blackthorn, leaves only coming out on whitethorn at moment.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

No these were what we know as Mayflowers,yellow flower with a lovely scent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No these were what we know as Mayflowers,yellow flower with a lovely scent.

Marsh Marigold, or such like used to be collected on 1st May and thrown on the roof of the house for good luck. Some people called them May flowers. But the flower of the May is hawthorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Could be gorse? A coconut smell..

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Lesser celandines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Primroses, buttercups and marigolds are the May Flowers that were traditionally picked on the evening before May Day

The National Museum of Ireland have a great article on the tradition here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumi wrote: »
    The National Museum of Ireland have a great article on the tradition here
    i had understood the rhyme they reproduce in that article differently - that it's 'cast ne'er a clout til the may be out' - as in that it refers to the may flower, not the month of may.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've just been doing a bit of googling on that - it seems that there's no definitive answer, but generally the month is favoured more than the flower as the explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

i had understood the rhyme they reproduce in that article differently - that it's 'cast ne'er a clout til the may be out' - as in that it refers to the may flower, not the month of may.

Around here it is taken as referring to Hawthorn flower and the "out" to mean when it is finished flowering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement