Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Dialects in Oral

Options
  • 05-04-2015 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

So I was just wondering if anyone knew to what extent variations on the irish dialects were tolerated in the oral. Do examiners regard it as showing saibhreas or can they mark you down.

I'm originally from Corca Dhuibhne and now live in Tipperary. I think our oral examiner is from Connemara.

The main issue is regarding past tense verbs. Instead of saying 'Chuaigh mé' we say 'Chuas' or 'do chuas'.

Also has the old past tense 'Dhéan mé' been completely scrapped in place of the Connemara 'Rinne mé'? Same goes for 'Cím' instead of 'Feicim'?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will expect the Caighdeán to be being taught in schools.

You might get away with a dialect, but only if you stay consistently in the one dialect. If you could stick to the Caighdeán, I would.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We've had examiners use 'Cad a dhein tú' with students. Also had them praise our students for their use of Kerry Irish-isms. Things like 'cláracha' instead of 'cláir' are accepted for the LC, there's seems to be no definite stance on dialects in the LC. I'd say if you speak only in the Kerry dialect you would do very well.

Advertisement