Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips For First Time Moving Out?

Options
  • 05-04-2015 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm an 18 year old male who's hoping to find some work in the next couple of weeks and hoping to move out when I have enough.

I've always wanted my own independence and even though I'll more than likely be renting somewhere or sharing accommodation, I feel like it's a big step in achieving my dreams.

I'd love to hear your stories!

Any tips, advice and recommendations would be hugely appreciated :)

What was it like the first time you moved out? Is sharing accommodation fun?

Let me know :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My tip is don't do it unless you have to! Yes the thought of independence is great but rents are sky high these days, not to mention food, electricity, tv, internet, water, gas, insurance..one minute you'll be enjoying having money from work and the next minute you'll be stressing about having enough money for bills and a social life.

Work first, save while you're doing that and move out in a few years would be my advice. The reality of independent living is a lot less fun than the dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

athtrasna wrote: »
    My tip is don't do it unless you have to! Yes the thought of independence is great but rents are sky high these days, not to mention food, electricity, tv, internet, water, gas, insurance..one minute you'll be enjoying having money from work and the next minute you'll be stressing about having enough money for bills and a social life.

Work first, save while you're doing that and move out in a few years would be my advice. The reality of independent living is a lot less fun than the dream.

I second this. I know plenty of people in their mid-twentys living at home with excellent jobs, as in earning €30-35 pa this out of college. They are saving deposits for mortgages, travelling etc. They are driving pretty ****ty cars to save money too.

There is no point living pay cheque to pay cheque for your own "freedom", when in about 10 years, you realise you have no savings and cant get a deposit for house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,849 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go to college. Doesn't have to be a university, an iIT or even PLC course is fine. Right now, all you're fit for working in is fast food or a supermarket. What you earn from them won't be enough to support you.

Advertisement