Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you think??

Options
  • 05-04-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

A couple I know well are interested in buying a bungalow that's up for €330k so last month they put an offer on the house of €275k and the estate agent replied that there had been a higher offer of €300k. The couple waited a few weeks and put in a higher offer of €304k and the EA replied 'thank you for your offer' and that was it. He didn't say there was a higher offer. Just wondering what that could mean???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lukesmom wrote: »
    A couple I know well are interested in buying a bungalow that's up for €330k so last month they put an offer on the house of €275k and the estate agent replied that there had been a higher offer of €300k. The couple waited a few weeks and put in a higher offer of €304k and the EA replied 'thank you for your offer' and that was it. He didn't say there was a higher offer. Just wondering what that could mean???

What date did they put the 304k offer in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

kceire wrote: »

This is typical of what EAs get up to. What the potential buyer should do is get a friend to view the property and see what line the agent is spinning. There is a lot to be said for having a registerof bids so people will know who is telling the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

About 2 weeks after the first offer the Friday before last.

lukesmom wrote: »
    About 2 weeks after the first offer the Friday before last.

Is ring the EA back and tell them there's a limit on the time that you will wait. Your offer expires next Friday and let them know if the owner would like to deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ring them again with an offer of €285,000 and see what happens, tell them you are looking at another house in a different area for less so will only pay that much for location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Is ring the EA back and tell them there's a limit on the time that you will wait. Your offer expires next Friday and let them know if the owner would like to deal.

Do not do this. If you like the house, giving a deadline for your offer makes you look like an amateur unless you are 100% certain that you will walk away on that date, the EA will not take future bids from you on that or any other property seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Ring them again with an offer of €285,000 and see what happens, tell them you are looking at another house in a different area for less so will only pay that much for location.

So the vendor hasn't accepted an offer of 304k but you advise them to go back two weeks later with an offer of 285k, are you trolling?

davo10 wrote: »
    Do not do this. If you like the house, giving a deadline for your offer makes you look like an amateur unless you are 100% certain that you will walk away on that date, the EA will not take future bids from you on that or any other property seriously.

This is also true. OP, tough position to be in. Do you really want the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Can you not approch the seller and ask them if the EA Passed on your bid to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Do "they" really, "really" want this house? Will it suit them and their family needs?

If so, I'd be telling them not to mess about trying to save 10 or 20K. Get them to put in a bid they can best afford and leave it.

At the same time, I wouldn't pay much attention to these "other" offers. Until the deal has been done they mean nothing. if the house is what they want, tell them to put in their genuine best bid and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Kettleson wrote: »
    Do "they" really, "really" want this house? Will it suit them and their family needs?

If so, I'd be telling them not to mess about trying to save 10 or 20K. Get them to put in a bid they can best afford and leave it.

At the same time, I wouldn't pay much attention to these "other" offers. Until the deal has been done they mean nothing. if the house is what they want, tell them to put in their genuine best bid and see what happens.

Yes it would mean downsizing from a very big house on 3/4 of an acre and as they are in their early 70's it would be perfect for them. They aren't necessarily messing about but one cannot shake off the idea that they could potentially be bidding against themselves either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Cash buyers? Then cash is King. But don't lose out on a house that suits their needs by trying to box clever and end up buying somewhere else for 20kless, but that they regret for the rest of their lives.

And I'd say don't be pressurised by the EA talking about other bids/buyers. The ball is in the EA's court now.

If the house suits them, advise them to identify the max they can afford. But start with a lower reasonble offer and wait. Which they have done. If they are not totally convinced that they want to buy this property, I'd keep looking elsewhere.

I wouldn't put it past the EA anticipating what they have available and coming up with a bit of spin to get the max price.

Be cautious, but don't lose out by being over-cautious. I admire your concern for them. Well done you : )

Advertisement