Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullied at work - hit in the head by a "coleague"

Options
  • 05-04-2015 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi guys,

I am working in a factory as a security. Was humiliated in front of another contractor by my team colleague, when he hit me in the back of the head while I made a paperwork mistake giving out the keys.
    What steps should I take, first report him to the company or go to the solicitor/garda ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

booklova wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am working in a factory as a security. Was humiliated in front of another contractor by my team colleague, when he hit me in the back of the head while I made a paperwork mistake giving out the keys.
    What steps should I take, first report him to the company or go to the solicitor/garda ?

While it's not nice, it's not a matter for the guards or a solicitor yet. Nip it in the bud now , you have 2 options really. 1 is report it to the company, 2 is the better IMO , confront him, let him know that this ****e won't be tollerated. I'm assumeing since you work in security you would have some balls about ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You should have punched him though you'd probably get the sack. Go to your boss and tell him what happened.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Technically I believe that's assault or battery or something, but I am not a lawyer. However I would at the very least report it to the company. I would give my company a chance to address it. However if I felt for a second that they were not taking the incident seriously, things would not go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,015 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

jaysblades wrote: »
    While it's not nice, it's not a matter for the guards or a solicitor yet. Nip it in the bud now , you have 2 options really. 1 is report it to the company, 2 is the better IMO , confront him, let him know that this ****e won't be tollerated. I'm assumeing since you work in security you would have some balls about ye.

Start by talking to the guy unless you have reason to believe that you are putting yourself in danger by doing so.

Calmly ask him for a private word. Be short and to the point that you felt undermined by the treatment and you don't ever expect him to hit you again. If you make a mistake you're open to constructive correction but if he undermines you in front of the team again or hits you under any circumstances, you'll be reporting him.

A decent man will take that on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A decent man will take that on board.

I think it has been established that he isn't that. Op, if there are witnesses then report it to your employer. It is assault and should have severe consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Report it OP to your bosses. No need for Gardaí or solicitors here.

I wouldn't bring him aside for a quiet word as he can turn that around and say you threatened him.

He's probably more senior than you and who will be believed by the bosses?

Report it and let the process start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,015 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think it has been established that he isn't that. Op, if there are witnesses then report it to your employer. It is assault and should have severe consequences.

That might be so but I'd always try to discuss it first. Apart from anything else it puts you on equal footing. The other guy might be older and might see the OP as a kid rather than a peer. Talking to him, like a professional adult, might make the perpetrator see the OP as a peer.

If that fails or if talking to him would put the OP in danger, of course go to your superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

did he hit you or cuff you?
    did it hurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It's an assault plain and simple. Even bringing your hand up in a motion to strike someone is an assault, if the person on reasonable grounds expects to be struck.

I would have immediately pulled him up on it, but now the best bet is to pull him aside and tell him not to do it again. There is no point in trying to engage with him other than to say, you hit me the other day it was embarrassing and don;t treat me like that. Don't threaten any action just point it out.

If he does it again I would immediately make a formal complaint and potentially involve the guards.

Advertisement