Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walker Smart TV - can it be rooted?

Options
  • 04-04-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I bought a Walker WP3214SMWI smart TV from Power City. The apps included with this are mostly designed for European (German, French??) users, not for Irish or UK ones. The TV doesn't have an RTE Player, BBC iPlayer, or other “local TV” app.

Does anybody know about the internal workings of the TV? Is it an Android device that can be rooted, and TV players added manually?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Pyro66 wrote: »
    Does anybody know about the internal workings of the TV? Is it an Android device that can be rooted, and TV players added manually?

Definitely not an android device as Google are only just getting into putting Android on Smart TVs and they aren't widely available yet and I couldn't imagine a budget brand like Walker getting it anytime soon.

Can't help you on the hacking the software front but if I was to take a guess, I'd wager that it's probably not possible, although maybe someone else could give you a more definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't think you can add the players manually. The TV's either have them pre loaded or they don't. I bought a Samsung smart TV recently & I chose Samsung over other brands, as they had the licensing agreement for the Irish players, that other brands did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mod Note:

Moved from the Television Forum as the OP is more likely to get technical assistance here, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I bought a Walker WP3214SMWI smart TV from Power City. The apps included with this are mostly designed for European (German, French??) users, not for Irish or UK ones. The TV doesn't have an RTE Player, BBC iPlayer, or other “local TV” app.

What are you going to root it with ? Walker stuff is normal closed source.
    However that all seems to be changing with Smart TV's as they are developing a common OS.

Last time I checked, Walker TV's were made my Vestel in Turkey. Vestel are part of the Smart Tv Alliance. You will have to confirm that your TV conforms. You could ask Walker directly themselves (.ie domain) or talk to Vestel. The forum for Smart Tv Alliance is >

https://developers.smarttv-alliance.org/forum/-/message_boards/category/1000000005

Do drop back if you have any joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

why not contact Walker and complain about the Lack of Irish app's on their Products.....they could easily insist Vestel add Irish content to the sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pyro66

Thanks to all for the suggestions and info. I did ask Power City about getting a n RTE player , BBC iPlayer etc. They referred me to Walker. A lady there suggested that I buy one of their Android Smart TV boxes for approx €90 if I wanted to access RTE Player (...a bit of a cheek really, after me having already bought one of their TVs, and it not doing what I expected it to do).

To be fair, this is the second 32" Walker that I bought at Power City and they are OK, reasonably priced, and both have an integrated satellite tuner which is a nice feature. The first one wasn't a Smart model (and this second one has a low IQ). I wouldn't recommend their Smart TVs unless they provide some more useful apps, but based on my experience to date, the ordinary ones are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Smart TV's in general are a waste. A separate device for apps is a much better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

If you bought a TV that is not design for your market then is it not "fit for it purpose".
    I would take it back and get my money back or seek consumer rights body.
    shops should not be selling products that is not design to work in your home market country.
    Why should you pay for extra box for something that the Smart TV was advertise to do by the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Highway61

Probably best to use some good rooting power and plenty of good quality compost .
    Make sure you dig the hole deep enough and water well .
    Leave it for a week and then proceed to to a reputable store .(Usually recognized by the fact no reputable store would stock such rubbish ) .Do yourself a favor and buy a decent Japanese telly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Highway61 wrote: »
    Probably best to use some good rooting power and plenty of good quality compost .
    Make sure you dig the hole deep enough and water well .
    Leave it for a week and then proceed to to a reputable store .(Usually recognized by the fact no reputable store would stock such rubbish ) .Do yourself a favor and buy a decent Japanese telly ...

A Japanese telly eh. Most manufacturing for LG, Samsung is made in South Korea.

@OP http://www.operasoftware.com/press/releases/devices/2014-03-18

Any chance of a screenshot of the Walker Smart TV menu ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement