Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - don't need channels or phone line, just broadband. Cheapest option?!

Options
  • 04-04-2015 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am clueless when it comes to broadband speeds/downloads/caps/data... all of it.

I've been researching options and they all seem to include TV channels or phone lines or extra high speed data.

I don't need any of this - I just need internet in my flat to work from home. Send some emails, check Facebook, Google a few things. I don't have a home line and I don't need any TV channels.

Does anyone know of any kind of package out there that doesn't charge 50 euro plus for all the fancy stuff, or am I just going to have to fork it out? There's only two of us in the flat and rent is already high, we're trying to keep it as cheap as possible!

Or would one of those pay as you go internet thingys that you plug into your computer be a better option? ('Thingys' - see, I really am clueless!)

PLEASE HELP :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Vodafone unlimited 35 euro per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

do you have an iphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

car.kar wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am clueless when it comes to broadband speeds/downloads/caps/data... all of it.

I've been researching options and they all seem to include TV channels or phone lines or extra high speed data.

I don't need any of this - I just need internet in my flat to work from home. Send some emails, check Facebook, Google a few things. I don't have a home line and I don't need any TV channels.

Does anyone know of any kind of package out there that doesn't charge 50 euro plus for all the fancy stuff, or am I just going to have to fork it out? There's only two of us in the flat and rent is already high, we're trying to keep it as cheap as possible!

Or would one of those pay as you go internet thingys that you plug into your computer be a better option? ('Thingys' - see, I really am clueless!)

PLEASE HELP :confused:

Those thingys are called a dongle. Sounds like a dongle would be perfect for you especially as you live in the city as well so the connection should be good.They are handy and its perfect for what I do on the net. You can get them as a monthly bill or as Pay as you go. I have one on a monthly bill but I am going to start looking into the pay as you go one myself now too as there is a price increase coming with the provider I am with and I can,t afford to pay that much extra a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

swoofer wrote: »
    do you have an iphone?

I do indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

AMKC wrote: »
    Those thingys are called a dongle. Sounds like a dongle would be perfect for you especially as you live in the city as well so the connection should be good.They are handy and its perfect for what I do on the net. You can get them as a monthly bill or as Pay as you go. I have one on a monthly bill but I am going to start looking into the pay as you go one myself now too as there is a price increase coming with the provider I am with and I can,t afford to pay that much extra a month.

A dongle, great I'll look into that! Do you find that it provides enough internet, or would you occasionally go over? How much is your monthly bill, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Get the Vodafone home package for €35 it will suit you better and will be more then likely quicker then a dongle. I would only consider a dongle if I was desperate or didn't use the internet that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

use the wi fi hotspot on your phone and use the data allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

car.kar wrote: »
    A dongle, great I'll look into that! Do you find that it provides enough internet, or would you occasionally go over? How much is your monthly bill, if you don't mind me asking?

Its around 20euro,s a month and then 7 euro,s for insurance which I have used twice. It does perfect for me. Its the same charge no matter how much you use. It is going up in price soon do. It would be no good if you wanted to download films or tourents but its perfect for doing browsing ,shopping online, E-mails,going on facebook and even for you-tube.

Advertisement