Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XGC may be closing down

Options
  • 03-04-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Was just at XGC printing my tickets for Hypespotting tomorrow and the guy behind the desk mentioned to me that the place is going out of business and may be closed down by June/July, so we should stop topping up our membership cards (not sure if we ever did that - I sure didn't). Looks like we'll need a new place to play casuals pretty soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Constant Markievicz

Oh, wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Time to contact a man about a shed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

So much for my plan on moving to Dublin..... :mad:

On a more serious note, XGC closing down will be a pretty big blow for the IFGC in general, a pity but not surprising really. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Nutrient wrote: »
    Time to contact a man about a shed

Paging GorySnake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Jesus, that'll be a shame. Lot of memories in that place.

• Advertisement

XGC memories lads, let's get it goin. One of my faves is Chunkis sleepin under the tables. Gwan chunkis, ya dirtbag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Evo all nighters were the best, there's footage of me screaming like a supporter at a football game when Poongko owned Diago at Evo 2011. Man, that was intense ( meanwhile, Chunkis was sitting emotionless while we were all hype, the youtube comments reflected that! )

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I've been in the horrors all day hung over so ill try to be as coherent as i can, it will be a sad day if the xgc closes down, if it is due to close we should all get together and have one last tournament to see it off. I never did like the laggy monitors, but the place was cool. I met so many sound people and a lot of good memories were had, it will be sadly missed if it closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Damn...

Do we have another venue that's as easily accessible for weekly casuals?

This is gonna be a big blow to the IFGC if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

theres always a better venue lads.. heres to bigger and better things for the dfgc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

theres always a better venue lads.. heres to bigger and better things for the dfgc

Screw the dutch, man, we gotta look out for the Irish FGC first and foremost!

bodied?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Crap. I just had a quick google search and I didn't come across anything close to the XGC for size or services.
    Didn't there use to be a gaming centre just off Parnell Square?

your gonna have to start looking at different types of venues lads

coffee/tea shops, side room in a bar, under a bridge ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

I've never been XGC myself, but now is the time to find a millionare to build us a big place full of candy cabs, beer, and setups for all kinds of FG's :^)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

your gonna have to start looking at different types of venues lads

coffee/tea shops, side room in a bar, under a bridge ?!

Gazebo? Public toilet? Vending machine?

Seriously though, this is a hammer blow for the Dublin scene at least - hope you get something sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

It's all well and good looking for an alternate kind of venue, jimmy, but it's undeniable that a dedicated venue that already has consoles and monitors set up where no one has to bring any equipment aside from sticks is infinitely preferable to a coffee shop. It's not like the Dublin crew has not used other venue types in the past, so they're not flying blind here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

this very sad :(
    ive had alot of craic there over the last few years.

Sairus wrote: »
    It's all well and good looking for an alternate kind of venue, jimmy, but it's undeniable that a dedicated venue that already has consoles and monitors set up where no one has to bring any equipment aside from sticks is infinitely preferable to a coffee shop. It's not like the Dublin crew has not used other venue types in the past, so they're not flying blind here!

i get that..

and i get that its a killer blow losing a place you birthed a community out of, we lost our main hub earlier this year so i get that.

I'm just trying to say, be positive, the next [possibly better] thing IS around the corner.. if it closes it closes,, will be ****, moving along, what will ye do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

XGC is not being closed down. Bottom floor is being renovated.

Don't know you got that mixed up, Mike.

• Advertisement

Goddamnit mike

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Macal wrote: »
    XGC is not being closed down. Bottom floor is being renovated.

Don't know you got that mixed up, Mike.

Literally was told the place was going out of business because it wasn't making enough money. Not sure how else you're supposed to interpret that. My conscience is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Literally was told the place was going out of business because it wasn't making enough money. Not sure how else you're supposed to interpret that. My conscience is clear.

Miscommunication from the guys there, could have happened to any of us

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

RIP XGC. Long Live the XGC!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement