Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Teaching (Ordinary Level Irish)

Options
  • 02-04-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello!

I did my LC in 2013 and always thought I either wanted to be a Science Teacher (second level) or a Primary Teacher.

I ended up dropping to OL Irish in the Leaving Cert due to stress from other subjects but still got a B1.

From 2013/2014 I tried a year of Science as an alternate entry to Science Education and I just knew then it wasn't for me.

Growing up, Primary Teaching was something I always wanted to do anyway.

Now I'm wondering due to me not doing HL Irish AND not having enough points, is their an alternative entry to Primary Teaching?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

If you don't have the points you're looking at applying as a mature student or applying to a postgraduate course. I think you can apply to the postgraduate courses once you have any degree. Check out qualifax.ie for info on courses.
    You could also apply to the UK via ucas.com. The fees are quite high though but I think you can get free fees if you go to Scotland.

From an irish point of view you have to have either the leaving cert higher irish c3 or the equivalent. I've heard that the leaving cert is easier to get. You can just study irish on its own, get the c3 and combine it with your points to satisfy the entry requirement. There is another test which those who study in the UK to be primary teachers have to do but I can't think of the name of it. You might find answers on teaching forum

Advertisement