Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

graduate construction

Options
  • 02-04-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi i just was wondering if anybody could answer a few questions for me. Im considering heading to new zealand this year and am just wondering if it would be difficult getting a job without much experience. I will finished my degree in construction management soon and am just wondering how people how found getting jobs in their field as recent graduates?
    Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daveblinkbass

The employment market in NZ is really good at present, for graduates as well as experienced people. I finished college in 2012 and started my career in Christchurch. As resources throughout the city are not plentiful, you will be thrown into the deep end and take on a lot of responsibility a graduate wouldn't normally be exposed to, which can only benefit your career.

You should be able to start looking for a Project Manager role with construction companies throughout Christchurch. Do a little research into construction companies in Christchurch. Investigate the recruitment agencies also, however, be careful with them as they like to sign you up for specific periods of time and they essentially control your career. You should have no problem directly contacting companies. Websites such as nz.indeed.com; seek.co.nz; trademe.co.nz and just general Googling will indicate what type of roles are out there. Never be turned off by companies saying '5+ years experience required' - If you contact them directly, they will have a look at your credentials regardless. Graduates are cheap labour so if you have your head screwed on and are motivated to work and start your career, they will definitely consider you.

If your college course teaches any Quantity Surveying and/or AutoCAD draughting, highlight those skills to prospective employers and you may have an opportunity to work as a QS/draughtsman in a construction company, insurance company or Engineering Consultancy.

If you can give me an indication of what type of role you would like, I could suggest companies to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alee251

Thanks for the reply. Honestly I havent that much experience so would be willing to do anything but would be aiming to get into project management at some point. I have done Autocad, surveying but its been a couple of years so not sure how they would look at that. Also would it have to be Christchurch? I know its basically a construction site but think i would rather live somewhere like Wellington if possible. Also what kind of starting wage to you think a graduate could expect?

Thanks again

Apologies, generally people coming into NZ are setting themselves up in Christchurch since there is alot of construction activity here following the earthquakes. The Auckland market is also pretty stable but Wellington would be a more difficult to get a job, but not impossible.

I suspect approximately $55,000. You will need to check your visa requirements. Some visa such as 'Work to Residency' require the employer to pay at least $55,000. Other visas vary so check the NZ immigration website. They won't let me attach a link here so just Google it!

Apologies, generally people coming into NZ are setting themselves up in Christchurch since there is alot of construction activity here following the earthquakes. The Auckland market is also pretty stable but Wellington would be a more difficult to get a job, but not impossible.

I suspect approximately $55,000. You will need to check your visa requirements. Some visa such as 'Work to Residency' require the employer to pay at least $55,000. Other visas vary so check the NZ immigration website. They won't let me attach a link here so just Google it!

Yea I imagined Christchurch would probably be where id have to go. I was going to go on working holiday visa and if it worked out try for the work to residency ones. Do you think I should try for a more permanent visa? Thanks again for the advice

Well that's entirely your decision. There's no major benefit to having a WTR visa or Work visa straight up if you don't know if you will be here long term. However, companies prefer to see that your planning on staying for the medium to long term I.e. Longer than 1 year. The only pain in the backside is having to go through the process of getting visa next year and if you leave it late you could end up having to stop working and worst case scenario go to Oz until your visa comes through.

You will like it here, it's a nice country and plenty of things to do. Plus on the way over or when you decide to leave you can stop off in Asia and tick a few countries off the bucket list!!!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks alot for the help. Not sure how long Ill want to stay but theres only one way to find out.

Advertisement