Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New M8 no sim in old M8 - how to transfer contacts?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 9:14pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help :)

My original M8 phone is smashed beyond repair and the sim is stuck in it. This evening I got a second M8 and had my vodafone account transferred onto a new sim.

I am unable to get the old sim out of the first phone, and am trying to figure out if there is a way to transfer all of my contacts that are stored on the phone from it to the new phone given that the phone is now inoperable with no sim?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Stheno wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help :)

My original M8 phone is smashed beyond repair and the sim is stuck in it. This evening I got a second M8 and had my vodafone account transferred onto a new sim.

I am unable to get the old sim out of the first phone, and am trying to figure out if there is a way to transfer all of my contacts that are stored on the phone from it to the new phone given that the phone is now inoperable with no sim?

Thanks!
    I would have thought you can turn on wi-fi on old phone, then copy contacts from phone to google servers(gmail), then copy down from google servers on new phone - but that seems too obvious you would have tried that first.
    So, maybe put in a micro sd-card, and copy the contacts.vcf file from old phone to sd-card, and then put sd-card in new phone and copy the contacts to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Contacts are stored in your Gmail. Just log onto the phone with your Gmail account.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would have thought you can turn on wi-fi on old phone, then copy contacts from phone to google servers(gmail), then copy down from google servers on new phone - but that seems too obvious you would have tried that first.
    So, maybe put in a micro sd-card, and copy the contacts.vcf file from old phone to sd-card, and then put sd-card in new phone and copy the contacts to the phone.
    Contacts are stored in your Gmail. Just log onto the phone with your Gmail account.

I've signed into gmail on the phone and it's synched but not brought in any contacts. It's not listing gmail as an account to synch. I've also set up two exchange accounts which are working fine and have synched.

Which folder is the contacts.vcg file in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sugarman wrote: »
    Tried plugging it in to a computuer and having a look around the folders?

I appear to have somehow managed to get it to synch :)

edit, thanks for the wifi tip, I never realised it would work without a sim card.
    I used that to download the HTC transfer tool and everything is now being transferred

Advertisement