Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching English to foreign students during the summer?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭

Hello i am just about to finish my Higher dioploma in education with DCU in May and will finally be qualified in teaching the subjects of English and Religion.

I was just inquiring about what do i need to obtain to be able to teach foreign students studying English in Ireland during the summer ?

Just wondering as i would not mind doing this for more experience and cash during the summer while i search for a job for next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

ricero wrote: »
    Hello i am just about to finish my Higher dioploma in education with DCU in May and will finally be qualified in teaching the subjects of English and Religion.

I was just inquiring about what do i need to obtain to be able to teach foreign students studying English in Ireland during the summer ?

Just wondering as i would not mind doing this for more experience and cash during the summer while i search for a job for next year.

I would assume you would need a TEFL qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

To work in Ireland you need a CELTA or CELTA qualification. No ACELS school will hire you without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

ricero wrote: »

You need a CELT qualification, which is certified by the Department of Education's ACELS organisation, or a CELTA qualification, which is certified by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES). Forget online TEFL courses. Both courses last for about 1 month and are fairly intense. The CELT costs @ €1000, while the CELTA costs @ €1500. The mainstream English language schools in the state are also certified by ACELS, and here's a list of those schools.

I did the ACELS CELT years ago, and never had any trouble getting work. You'll probably get 6 weeks work, between mid-June to mid-August depending - but make sure wherever you go they can guarantee work for all of July as if they cannot look somewhere else (i.e. all good schools will be booked out for July). Some people were left high and dry with only a few weeks work each year, and the people who got longer tended to have been teaching there for years. Also, if you have the PDE, that tended to be viewed very positively in my experience and you could be given extra work, especially if you are going back to the same place teaching.

Usually (everywhere?) you'll be working 15 hours per week, in the morning, and can get extra money doing tours and activities in the afternoon (some groups wanted extra tuition in the afternoon, however). When I last did it pay for teaching was €20 per hour, which was a welcome €300 per week at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

There is another ACELS recognised course specifically for state-qualified teachers who want to teach English as an additional language. It takes a week and costs about 300 euro. It qualifies you to teach teenagers which would suit you if you intend working in summer schools. Details here: http://www.acels.ie/acelselt.htm#2

Advertisement