Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of Q's, if I may

Options
  • 02-04-2015 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Now I'll admit I have a (very) ****ty small tattoo that I got years ago when I was 16 and want not to make the same mistakes again haha. I'm thinking about getting a black and white portrait, but the problem is I don't know where generally would be a good spot to get it. I was thinking on my back over my right shoulder, somewhere that preferably wouldn't be seen day to day as it would be quite personal. Roughly how large would you expect to have a portrait (is of my grandparents on their wedding day in the 50s). I'll obviously be asking the artist for a proper opinion before I bite the bullet, but would like to have some idea as I go in. This brings me to my last Q, would anyone be able to recommend me an artist in the West to contact that has a speciality for these kinds of requests?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Shoulder, Upper Arm, Thigh or Calf are good spots for portraits as the skin there stays fairly firm and taut as you age. As for size, you should aim for the largest size your body will take and that you feel comfortable with. The bigger the size, the better the detail, the better it will age. Finally check the portfolio of whom ever you choose and make damn sure that they are capable of reproducing the tattoo you want. There are a lot of people out there who think that they can tattoo portraits, but only a few who really can do it well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Don't specfically limit yourself to artists in the west, as pierced off said portraits really need to be bang on in the details so research research research artists. Be prepared to travel to get a really good artist who will make your tattoo spot on.

Advertisement