Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords: How Frequently Do You Redecorate?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi...Looking for landlord experience and opinion on this! I know this is a "long long is a piece of string" question, but in the normal course of events, and in the event of normal wear and tear only, how frequently do you re-paint the interior of your property? Every two to three years? Every three to five years? Between each tenancy, regardless of duration?

I've been looking on line for guidance on this, but can't find any!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Hi...Looking for landlord experience and opinion on this! I know this is a "long long is a piece of string" question, but in the normal course of events, and in the event of normal wear and tear only, how frequently do you re-paint the interior of your property? Every two to three years? Every three to five years? Between each tenancy, regardless of duration?

I've been looking on line for guidance on this, but can't find any!

I really think this has to be looked at on a case by case basis. You could have a long term tenant in the place who requests a fresh coat of paint after a few years.
    You could have a tenant take absolutely no care of the property and you will have to redecorate/refurbish the entire property once they leave.
    You could also require a few touch ups in between tenancies to make the place look new, so a deep clean might clear up the scuffed paint work, but you might have to re-do the rooms with a high usage (kitchen/bathroom/living room).
    You could also encounter tenants who will freshen the place up themselves (with your permission) while they are staying in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

As a tenant. I would say redecorating should be done between tenancies, unless the tenant makes a specific reasonable request during their tenancy.
    If a landlord had already redecorated, immediately before a new tenancy, a request within the next 2-3 would probably be unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Flintstone1979

Thanks to both of you!

Just trying to decipher what people consider a "reasonable" period, in instances of responsible tenancy.

Clearly, if the property sustains damage, etc, that is a different matter.

I'm just shy of 5 years without maintenance of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Between tenancies I usually give it a fresh coat of paint and tend to anything that needs doing. E.g might replace the laminate floor every 4 years.

I tend to avoid doing anything with a tenant in place . Although I have replaced windows and a bathroom with a tensnt in place.

I tend to give the tenant free reign to do what they want as long as its structual

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mine's been let for seven years, with a change of tenant every 18 months on average. It was freshly decorated before I left, and some parts got touched up when some pipes were replaced.

At the last tenancy break, I specifically asked the property manager if painting was needed, and she said no. (It's heaps easier to do when empty).

Am quite surprised to have got away with this, I expected to have to repaint at least every five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Flintstone1979

7 years does seem a very long time! It seems that every three to four years, during a break in tenancy, is about standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Our place was freshly decorated when we moved in seven years ago. After five years, the paint was looking a bit tired, so we asked if we could paint. LL agreed and paid for the paint, but we did the labour.

We've also replaced little bits and pieces around the house, and gave him the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

ted1 wrote: »
    Between tenancies I usually give it a fresh coat of paint and tend to anything that needs doing. E.g might replace the laminate floor every 4 years.

I tend to avoid doing anything with a tenant in place . Although I have replaced windows and a bathroom with a tensnt in place.

I tend to give the tenant free reign to do what they want as long as its structual

Jesus that's brave of you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Depends on what the paint is like. I know if you use good quality paint and decent shades you can get years out of it. Eg colortrend paint lasts. I know the paint in one of my parents properties is about 7 years and will be repainted this year as its faded a little. If you paint with a neutral colour like a light grey you will get years out of the paint. They odd touch up will be needed every so often. Where as ****ty cream will darken into a horrible yellow and white paint never stays white in a rental property.

If you use good quality paint and something with bit of colour. Expect to get about 5-7 years with some touch ups here and there. Anything too dark will fade and anything too light will darken. A greater issue I have with Irish landlords is the fact carpets/bathrooms/kitchens never seem to be changed.

If rental controls are put in place. You can almost certainly be sure LLs will stop all unessential maintenance. Why would they put in a new kitchen or flooring, if they cant increase the rent? They wont and that can be seen in NYC and San Francisco, where a lot of rent controlled places have barely been repaired since being destroyed by hurricane Sandy

Advertisement