Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Amateur Photographer 2015

Options
  • 02-04-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Looks like it's up and running (though it doesn't seem to have been announced yet). Only running until the end of May.

http://irishtimes.picturk.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Here are the winners from 2013. Can't find any link to 2014, I think it mightn't have run that year.

The Irish Times will be featuring photos each week- here's some.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Has anybody entered or had a picture featured? I had a shoot in mind as my entry but haven't had time, and probably won't now have time, to actually do it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

One of my photos was shown in one of the slideshows

I entered a fair few. Had one or two in mind but for the same fee you could enter up to 3 photos in each category. Haven't been featured in the slideshows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Maybe I'll throw in a few old photos before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

giyjy9Z.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tom tit tot

I only saw this competition an hour before the deadline. I got some quick photos in but I wish I saw it earlier!

Posted up a couple of hours ago, people's choice shortlist:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/photography/people-s-choice-vote-for-your-favourite-photograph-in-our-shortlist-of-16-1.2244680

I don't know how they decided on the shortlist if the process of judging is still in its infancy, doesn't make sense..

Also, is it just me or are some of those very average

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Maybe they're the highest scoring of the longlist and have just missed the overall shortlist. As far as I know the initial scoring was done online and the highest scoring images go through for more serious judging. This is all a guess though. I reckon between them they have probably seen all images. Only 1,100 photographers entered, so if they broke that down between all judges, it's not that many submissions to go through each.

I really like the first image of the women making bread. Beautiful light.

Love your image above too btw. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

beth-lou wrote: »
    Maybe they're the highest scoring of the longlist and have just missed the overall shortlist. As far as I know the initial scoring was done online and the highest scoring images go through for more serious judging. This is all a guess though. I reckon between them they have probably seen all images. Only 1,100 photographers entered, so if they broke that down between all judges, it's not that many submissions to go through each.

Don't think they get scored during the online judging section?

Thought that every submission gets viewed online by 2 judges and it just needs one of them to put it through to the judging in person..?

1,100 entered, over 7,000 photos though I think..

mystic86 wrote: »
    Don't think they get scored during the online judging section?

Thought that every submission gets viewed online by 2 judges and it just needs one of them to put it through to the judging in person..?

1,100 entered, over 7,000 photos though I think..

This is what it said on their photography page :

"The pictures are scored initially online, first by creating a “longlist” in each category and then in a second wave of online judging produce a shortlist category by category. The judges all then meet together and after much debate select the winners and runners-up in each category."

Who knows how they decide on these things. I wonder when they will post the shortlist.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/amateur-photographer-of-the-year-awards-finalists-street-category-1.2258521

Just seen Daire posted up a thread 5 minutes ago for it, oh well I'll post it here anyway again

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Looks like it's up and running (though it doesn't seem to have been announced yet). Only running until the end of May.

http://irishtimes.picturk.com/

Congratulions on being short listed. Great photo! There are some fab entries. Very high standard.

beth-lou wrote: »
    Congratulions on being short listed. Great photo! There are some fab entries. Very high standard.

congratulations yourself!! Delighted for ya :) I really liked that pic when you posted it on the random thread :)

mystic86 wrote: »
    congratulations yourself!! Delighted for ya :) I really liked that pic when you posted it on the random thread :)

Thanks a million. I am a bit surprised. After looking at the standard over the last few categories I really didn't think I'd get shortlisted. I'm really happy. Good luck! :)

Advertisement