Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half sleeve taking too long?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi guys, long story short, I've been working on a half sleeve for about three years now and it's not finished. I've had two full day sessions where I've sat for around eight hours each time and three 3 hour sessions. I won't describe the design for obvious reasons but it's really not that detailed at all. It's a wrap around full half sleeve but even the outline took six hours+ and everything wasn't completely mapped out- even now it isn't!. I knew at the start that they were new enough to the trade to be a little slower but now, more progress should be made..

Along with that, the colours don't seem to be staying very vibrant either, which is one thing I really wanted- for it to be bright, vibrant and colourful! I can barely afford the sessions as it is- I save for months and months for them, and now I'm told they'll have to re-do the colours from the first sessions again!? Meaning I have to pay even more and it still won't be finished? They told me that the reason it's faded is probably the ink they used to use. Although, the freshest bits aren't exactly leaping out at you either.... I take really good care of my fresh tattoos, so I don't believe it's me. However, any tips are certainly welcome.

My question is, how do I express this without being a b****? Can I? Or should it remain unsaid since its kinda rude. At this point, I just want it finished because it's taking so long (factoring in the gaps between sessions where I'm saving up too) and looks like it'll be another two full days to finish it :/ i know sleeves cost a fortune, I know they take time, but the quality should be better, the colours stronger... I'm hopefully going to book another session today but I'm kinda reluctant considering progress so far.

I'm not sure what the etiquette is here, but I'd love the opinion of more experienced tattooed people. Reading this, it might look I'm just wanting a quick, cheap tattoo. I don't. I want good value for my money for something that will be on me forevermore and for it to be the best it can be.

Thanks guys, I know this is a stupidly long post :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

TheJinMu wrote: »
    Hi guys, long story short, I've been working on a half sleeve for about three years now and it's not finished. I've had two full day sessions where I've sat for around eight hours each time and three 3 hour sessions. I won't describe the design for obvious reasons but it's really not that detailed at all. It's a wrap around full half sleeve but even the outline took six hours+ and everything wasn't completely mapped out- even now it isn't!. I knew at the start that they were new enough to the trade to be a little slower but now, more progress should be made..

Along with that, the colours don't seem to be staying very vibrant either, which is one thing I really wanted- for it to be bright, vibrant and colourful! I can barely afford the sessions as it is- I save for months and months for them, and now I'm told they'll have to re-do the colours from the first sessions again!? Meaning I have to pay even more and it still won't be finished? They told me that the reason it's faded is probably the ink they used to use. Although, the freshest bits aren't exactly leaping out at you either.... I take really good care of my fresh tattoos, so I don't believe it's me. However, any tips are certainly welcome.

My question is, how do I express this without being a b****? Can I? Or should it remain unsaid since its kinda rude. At this point, I just want it finished because it's taking so long (factoring in the gaps between sessions where I'm saving up too) and looks like it'll be another two full days to finish it :/ i know sleeves cost a fortune, I know they take time, but the quality should be better, the colours stronger... I'm hopefully going to book another session today but I'm kinda reluctant considering progress so far.

I'm not sure what the etiquette is here, but I'd love the opinion of more experienced tattooed people. Reading this, it might look I'm just wanting a quick, cheap tattoo. I don't. I want good value for my money for something that will be on me forevermore and for it to be the best it can be.

Thanks guys, I know this is a stupidly long post :D

My advice - cut your losses and try and convince another reputable artist to finish it properly, although this may be difficult as a lot of artists don't want to be fixing someone else s crap work. At the end of the day your gonna have it for life so you want it to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

My full sleeve, fairly detailed, took 24 hours. This was in part because I chose to have a lot of fine work put in. Realistically, 12-13 hours should complete most half sleeves. If it's taking as long as you say then either a) Your artist is not capable of completing the work, or b) Your artist is taking the p**s. Either way, as Twilight Singer has said, cut your losses, shop around and find a GOOD artist who will take on the job and finish it when and how you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

My full sleeve, fairly detailed, took 24 hours. This was in part because I chose to have a lot of fine work put in. Realistically, 12-13 hours should complete most half sleeves. If it's taking as long as you say then either a) Your artist is not capable of completing the work, or b) Your artist is taking the p**s. Either way, as Twilight Singer has said, cut your losses, shop around and find a GOOD artist who will take on the job and finish it when and how you want it.

Well I honestly wasn't expecting that answer :O I see where ye are coming from but its not a comforting thought :P is there many artists who would take on a semi finished sleeve?? I'm in the southwest, anyone have any suggestions? Bummed that its come to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

my arm took about 20 odd hours and it has a **** ton of ink. Yes yours is taking too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

My half sleeve took just over 12 hours I think. Colours are still incredibly vibrant, two years later. I agree with what everyone else has said - find someone else to finish it! It's difficult to recommend someone specific without knowing the style of your tattoo, but there are lots of recommendations for great artists in various threads here.

Best of luck - hopefully you will be able to find someone willing to take it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I'm 30 hours in and only half done:P

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

dinorebel wrote: »
    I'm 30 hours in and only half done:P

Is it a half sleeve? :O much detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

dinorebel wrote: »

That looks great !
    I'm 25 hrs in and think it will be at least 10 more ... If I'm lucky. Although that's soon forgotten, if the work is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i've never had to change artists but while getting some tat's done the lads have spoken about fixing stuff.
    in particular they'd encountered one part-time cowboy who did my mate at a house party. They'd made a packet fixing his work.:(

most artists would prefer not to do it - but money is money.
    It's your tattoo (and your cash) - splash the cash on a decent artist so you can wear you tattoo with pride.

few things sadder than somebody with a tattoo on their body they don't like esp a big piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I had to change artist half way through a piece, original guy had been at it for what seems like a lifetime ( minimum 40 hrs), now its a large piece but I still think he was taking waaaaaaaaay too long. Then he disappeared and I went about sourcing a new artist. Then he appeared back again and I told him I was talking to someone to finish it because I couldn't get in touch with him for about 2 months. Needles to say he wasn't very nice about it. So the new artists work is 100% more detailed, vibrant and quicker too! I say cut your losses and get someone new who can finish it off in some style and speed. I am actually really glad the original artist was a flake because the new guy is fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I had my half sleeve finished in about 8 hours total, and it's a wrap-around as well. Now it's not very detailed, as it's cartoon style, no shading really, but it's extremely vibrant! Ross Nagle in All Star Ink in Limerick did it for me, I find him brilliant, and a fast worker too.

But obviously it depends on the artist, style of the tattoo, and how they feel about fixing another artist's work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Spanish Max

TheJinMu wrote: »
    Is it a half sleeve? :O much detail?

Can you post up a pic and let the real experts (ie not me !) have a goo?

Advertisement