Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Tips for Accommodation Search

Options
  • 01-04-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm sure a lot of you are starting to think about the race to find accommodation, if you haven't already started looking.

This is my first year looking for accommodation in Dublin, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips they'd like to share that makes the hunt that little bit easier? e.g. when to start searching in earnest, cheaper/pricer areas, etc.

I'll deliberately not be any more specific so people can interpret and disclose as they wish. If you have a tip that you'd rather not share with the general populous, but are kind enough to share with an individual such as myself, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Start EARLY. If you work, present yourself as a professional. Students are seriously screwed over in the rental market at the moment.

Go to viewings with your deposit money in hand. Don't bother emailing through daft.ie. Phone the agent/landlady. No one reads those emails. If the viewing is 'open' go early, really early. Don't rule out Dublin 8 and 12. There are lovely places in Kilmainham and Inchicore with good luas access.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Go to viewings with your deposit money in hand.

There are lovely places in Kilmainham and Inchicore with good luas access.

Maybe have easy access to your deposit money but be very careful who you hand it over to. The shortage of places means there'll be no shortage of people trying to scam tenants.

http://blog.myhome.ie/2010/04/19/rental-scams-beware-of-the-phantom-landlord/

http://trinitynews.ie/how-i-got-scammed-through-the-trinity-noticeboard/

Live in Inchicore myself, 15 minutes with the wind at your back on the bicycle has you in Trinity!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Set up an email alert on daft.ie. All you have to do is fill in your details, areas, size, max and min prices, and then the minute a property fitting your descriptions is put on daft you will get an email. A lot of the places that dont use letting agents are just first come first serve. I was the first person to call about my house this year and the first to see it and get it thanks to that email alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

How usual is it to have to rent an acquired property for the summer months?

On top of trying to find somewhere to live next year, I'm also trying to find work for summer and trying to figure out where to place myself in the world for the aestival season. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

pourquoi wrote: »
    How usual is it to have to rent an acquired property for the summer months?

On top of trying to find somewhere to live next year, I'm also trying to find work for summer and trying to figure out where to place myself in the world for the aestival season. :)

I found renting the property in August was the best way to ensure you had accommodation.

Also, starting early allows you to be more picky

• Advertisement
Advertisement