Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calvary Cemetery burial records

Options
  • 01-04-2015 8:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if burial records are available for Calvary Cemetery in New York and how I might access them?
    Their website doesn't have much info or a contact email.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I have rang Calvary Cemetery on a number of occasions the last being a couple of years ago. Their number is (718) 786-8000, which is on their website, you need to put the NY prefix in front of it.

You need the name and date of death for the person your interested in. Usually I say I'm looking for the plot number of the person. They will give you the plot number and if your lucky and get a helpful person they might give you the number of people buried in the plot - if you ask. Its unlikely you'll get any other names off them because it seams the records are organised by books and not plots.

Ask them what year the plot was purchased and by whom and how much - I got this info from them.

You can order the complete record of each plot but it is very expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

hblock21 wrote: »
    You can order the complete record of each plot but it is very expensive.

Ah, that's unfortunate!:(
    I have a number of burials in Calvary that I'd like to investigate and I can imagine that being an expensive phone call.
    Perhaps I could write to them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

hblock21 wrote: »
    I have rang Calvary Cemetery on a number of occasions the last being a couple of years ago. Their number is (718) 786-8000, which is on their website, you need to put the NY prefix in front of it.
    718 is a NYC prefix - if you are going to call you just need 00 for international an 1 for the USA and then 718 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Hermy wrote: »
    Ah, that's unfortunate!:(
    I have a number of burials in Calvary that I'd like to investigate and I can imagine that being an expensive phone call.
    Perhaps I could write to them.

Not necessarily, if your only calling them, it will only take a few minutes. What is it you want, people from various families or a whole family which might be in the one plot. Ask them for the location of two of the people and ring them again in a few weeks for another two...

To get the plot records its min $90 plus $5 per name thereafter, so if theres LOADs of people in the plot it could add up - you cant pick and choose.

But a phonecall just costs the couple of minutes and you have your basic info asap from which you could then work from.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's not a location that I'm looking for.
    The surname is a common Irish one and I want something that confirms that these people are relevant to me.
    But being out of work $90+ is out of my budget for now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Hermy wrote: »
    It's not a location that I'm looking for.
    The surname is a common Irish one and I want something that confirms that these people are relevant to me.
    But being out of work $90+ is out of my budget for now.

You might have the NYC death certs already? If so, depending on the time period, the cemetery of burial is asked for.

Generally, if they were Irish and died in Manhattan or Queens they went to Calvary; if they died in Brooklyn they went to Holy Cross cemetery.

There are two books, New Yorkers Carved in Stone I & II by Rosemary Muscarella Ardolina, that list thousands of headstone transcriptions that give place of origin information from Ireland. However, there are over 3 million burials in Calvary so you have to totally luck out to have someone be in the book.

I've had many tussles with Calvary over the years. As outlined above, the list of burials is very expensive and I've walked that cemetery a number of times for clients and there was never a headstone on the plot:(

Advertisement