Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeweller switched diamonds

Options
  • 01-04-2015 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

Got my diamond ring re-set recently in a reputable jewellery store but have a feeling they did not re-set my original diamonds. Did anyone encounter this problem before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Presuming you have the diamond certificate you can take the ring and the certificate to another jeweler and ask them to confirm that they match.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I worked in a jewellers and the number of times I heard this accusation, either aimed at us or another shop, is beyond counting. Taking jewels out of watches was the other one back in the day (a watch wouldn't run without the jewels, which are worth feck all)

Were the diamonds worth a lot? As in multiple thousands? If not then it wont have been worth the while finding and resetting other stones. What usually happened on cases I dealt with was that the jewellery had been cleaned and looked very different, or the customer had a misconception over the value of the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I agree with Oryx here; we here that allegation about jewellers regularly, and it's usually that the stones look different in the new setting. As Oryx said, the cost of replacing the stones would make the switching of them with other diamonds would be unfeasible.

As for comparing with a cert, to do it 100% right the stones would have to be taken out of the mount, checked against the cert, then remounted. Doing that will void any warranty you may have had on the remade ring, and could cost quite a bit.

Also, some stones brought into the country from certain parts of the world had no relationship with the certificates provided with them, and a lot of certificates do not have the mapping done properly, which means that they may not be of much use to identify the diamond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

minnie11 wrote: »
    Hi,

Got my diamond ring re-set recently in a reputable jewellery store but have a feeling they did not re-set my original diamonds. Did anyone encounter this problem before?

I will guess that it a high street store paying high rents and rates.

The actual wholesale cost of diamonds will be substantially less than half of what you have paid for the ring which has costs elements of design, manufacture, precious metal and store costs put on.

A back of envelope guess would be a €5000 retail ring, (inc vat) would have a max diamond value to a store of about €700 - €1000. (ex vat)

If a store did actually swap the diamond, then to make it worth their while, it would have to be swapped with real rubbish, and somehow I doubt if that happened.

Advertisement