Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2015 WIT

Options
  • 01-04-2015 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Just wondering is there many people in their 20's heading to WIT this year? Just wondering what people are applying for as their choice for WIT? In first year again is going to be weird I suppose for me, but should be fun. Just wondering will there be people in my course my age or am I going to be surrounded by 17-18 year old again ( my current course we have a mixed range of ages from 17 to 24 years old.) I just suppose I'm nervous I won't make friends my age.

Comments

Just wondering is there many people in their 20's heading to WIT this year? Just wondering what people are applying for as their choice for WIT? In first year again is going to be weird I suppose for me, but should be fun. Just wondering will there be people in my course my age or am I going to be surrounded by 17-18 year old again ( my current course we have a mixed range of ages from 17 to 24 years old.) I just suppose I'm nervous I won't make friends my age.

What course you applying for? There will more than likely at this stage be as many people in their twenties as there will be younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

One third of the students are mature students I heard, and the other three thirds are immature

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There's plenty of mature students floating about. I wouldn't be one bit concerned about being older.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Youre talking 70% mature for some 3rd and 4th years classes now that its 23 for a Mature Student.

College isnt just for last years LC students.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

In first year, a very big chunk of those youngsters will party most of the time and will not do a tap.

They will drop out in their droves, and by second year most will be gone.

Third and fourth year, as mentioned before, will have a much larger mature to youngster ratio.

I can only speak from experience of course, but this is all I have seen in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

a fat guy wrote: »
    In first year, a very big chunk of those youngsters will party most of the time and will not do a tap.

They will drop out in their droves, and by second year most will be gone.

Third and fourth year, as mentioned before, will have a much larger mature to youngster ratio.

I can only speak from experience of course, but this is all I have seen in college.

Yep same in my course, on the lash for the whole semester, come into lectures once or twice a week and then they wonder why they have failed and end up either repeating or droppin out altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Yep same in my course, on the lash for the whole semester, come into lectures once or twice a week and then they wonder why they have failed and end up either repeating or droppin out altogether

We had thirty-five in my first year. Five never showed up at all. Either that, or a good chunk of them came in at random times.

In either case, the class was never full...

Not that I was complaining, more lecturer time for me!

OP, you have nothing to worry about. I'll probably be going back myself in September and I'll be 25 at the time. If you don't find folks to hang out with, let me know. I'll be doing a course with (I think) very few actual lecture/practical hours. I'll probably need the company more than you!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I turned 25 at the start of my course. I'd say about a third of the class were mature students but it's evened out more this year because a good few of the youngsters dropped out or repeated. I actually made good friends with a girl straight out of school as well as someone twice my age.

You won't be lonely anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

thanks guys for the reassurance. Like I've 3 years done and heading on for another three years to study again, so might as well make the most of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 corrinekho

I am 19 years old .. As i am not an irish student, may I ask that commonly ireland students enter first year of degree in age of.. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

corrinekho wrote: »
    I am 19 years old .. As i am not an irish student, may I ask that commonly ireland students enter first year of degree in age of.. ?

Normally it's after their leaving cert average age 18 years

I'm 21, found out one of my friends are going WIT as well, same age as me so we got our house together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 corrinekho

Forever21 wrote: »
    Normally it's after their leaving cert average age 18 years

Thanks ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 samueldw

20 is considered mature? I'm 23 and i would consider myself so xD.

Anyway, I'm going there for a masters in 2015\2016.

Let us know if you dont find anyone xD

Hey, couple of my friends actually applied for 1th year there, all the same age, so its looking good

Hey, couple of my friends actually applied for 1th year there, all the same age, so its looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i'm 24, heading back to WIT in September for my 4th year, personally i still feel "young" when i walk around there. my own class is a decent mixed bunch, in my first year the age range was 17-50 and it's still somewhere around there. age isn't too much of an issue really, we all work well together, even head out for drinks together, no big deal.

Advertisement