Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could the hands on this be cleaned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭893bet

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141600685872

I like the look of this, but it says there's dirt on the hands which is slightly off putting

Clearly seen in the photos.

Why are they hands in such poor condition given the rest of the watch looks well cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

893bet wrote: »
    Clearly seen in the photos.

Why are they hands in such poor condition given the rest of the watch looks well cared for.

Ya the hands are quite disappointing, they look to be in quite poor condition, and as you said the rest of the watch looks to be very good

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sun damage? Though usually the dials go first with that. I'd reckon myself that damp got into the watch at some point, that'll degrade hands in double quick time. Lume sucks up water like a thirsty camel and hands usually contain the most lume on a watch face so are usually the first to get hit. Maybe the dial was replaced? A clumsy amateur will do damage to hands very easily(looks at pile of past screwups…).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I don't think this is a rare watch so I'd bide my time. I've no idea what happened to the hands but I'd worry that there might be something else wrong or that I'd have an unquantified repair/refinishing bill. As Wibbs says, it could easily go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Yeah I think I'll let this one slide, such a shame that it's let down by the hands. And as was said, it's not a rare watch so I'll bide my time.

Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd look at it like you were lucky that there was an indication of potential damage or dodgy work being carried out on it.

Advertisement