Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agents

Options
  • 31-03-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago I went to an estate agent and registered my interest in a certain type of property.

I received a few emails of similar types but showed no interest in them. Today I got an email of one I liked, I rang the agent and asked if i could see it tomorrow (short notice I know) I was told i couldnt but could on Sat.

That didnt suit so I asked to see it next Wed morning to be told that they would only show it twice a week on Sat and Wed evening.

My question is, is this a standard practice ?

I realise that there are plenty of wheel kickers out there, but I live over an hour away and as the customer I don't think its unreasonable to give a weeks notice for an appointment that suits me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Best not to appear too eager as a prospective purchaser! I agree though - some are desperate with no business acumen or personalities, others are excellent, so unfortunately it's just luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

The estate agent works for the seller, not you unfortunately. If the seller is currently living in the house they may not want the hassle of getting the house ready for a viewing mid week. They might only consider it for a second viewing.

Now if the house is currently empty you could probably push a bit more. Agents like open viewings as it saves them time and effort, but they are not under any obligation to pick a time that suits you.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The seller may have dictated the they only want to have viewings at certain times. Or the agents could be a small staff trying to schedule viewings for a lot of properties over the course of a week/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I appreciate that they are working for the seller, but without a buyer they are working for no one.

If I was the seller I wouldnt be too impressed to hear that buyers were not being accommodated in what I think is a reasonable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

It happened me on several occasions. The property wasa tenanted property and the tenant had stated they will only allow viewings on certain days and at certain times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The vendor is probably living in the house and agents tend to have viewings while it is vacant, so it seems fair to me that appointments are limited.

Advertisement