Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portlaoise triathlon

Options
  • 31-03-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing it this Saturday?

First time doing a try in a pool, can imagine it would be pretty congested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

I got a cancellation entry for this yesterday.
    I did one pool tri last year and yea it was pretty hectic at the start, it got nice and quite towards the end of my swim for some weird reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Really nice race, one of my favourites. This will be my 5th time to do it if indeed I do. Kids are doing the junior aquathon as well. Swim marshals are really good at moving slower swimmers aside so tends not to get too congested. Word of advice for novice pool racers........don't lead out the swim unless you're miles faster than the rest of the lane, sit in the draft of someone else for the first few lengths when things are a bit hectic. Worst thing is the long wait for later waves but that's typical of all pool tri's. Hopefully the weather will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Down for this too, done a few pool ones and they can be a bit of a wait around alright. Looking forward to this one, see where I am and how the training is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

just got the race times, im off at 11.45, race briefing is at 8.20, wonder if i can skip that, dont fancy waiting around for 3.5 hours. will register the night before

You would still have to be down to rack your bike in transition. That closes at 8.15. Going to be a long wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

pauldoo wrote: »
    just got the race times, im off at 11.45, race briefing is at 8.20, wonder if i can skip that, dont fancy waiting around for 3.5 hours. will register the night before

No transition will close at 8:30 and no athletes will be allowed in until the last bike is back from the bike leg.

Even if you register on Fri night ( if there is registration ) you'll need to be there to rack your bike and set up your equipment.

I reckon I'll have time to rack the bike, watch the kids race, bring them back home and still be back in time for my wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I have a Sailfish speedsuits that doesn't get a lot of use. Would I be allowed wear it for this race?
    I don't plan on leading out the lane, so would it even be worth it?
    To be honest, for a 750m swim, I wouldn't be too keen on pegging it on the ground in T1 for the potential benefit it will give. I'm mostly just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Congrats today zico.

Well done Joey as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

zico10 wrote: »
    I have a Sailfish speedsuits that doesn't get a lot of use. Would I be allowed wear it for this race?

A 58 second T1 suggests you abandoned this idea! Well done on your win (great showing from you too Joe).

• Advertisement

Well done to Zico and Joe. Gutted I couldn't race but chest wouldn't allow it. Had to settle for watching the kids race instead.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    A 58 second T1 suggests you abandoned this idea! Well done on your win (great showing from you too Joe).

I'm not sure if the legalities of it, but I was never seriously considering wearing one anyway.

It was a long run from exiting the pool until we got to our bikes. I don't think taking off a speedsuit would have added too much to my overall time.

If drafting behind someone, then I guess a speedsuit wouldn't be much good to you in the pool, but if you're going to lead out the lane for the full distance, then I think wearing one would be well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Can't see why you couldn't wear it. Whats it like vs. jammers in your pool times? Notice much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Can't see why you couldn't wear it. Whats it like vs. jammers in your pool times? Notice much difference?

Here's a little background on swimskins. I have the Blueseventy PZT3X, and yes, it makes you faster.

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2010/10/08/swimskins-work

It's quite a delicate garment and I've never actually worn it in the pool. I might do one 1,000m TT over the next few weeks just to compare it to other 1,000m TTs I've done recently. The only time I've worn it was in Mallorca last September. Apart from the possible TT, the next time I'll be wearing it is Mallorca this September. And that's assuming it's a non-wetsuit swim again.

P.S. I tried to find reference to speedsuits in the ITU rulebook. Admittedly I didn't look very hard, but my understanding is you can wear it as long as it gives no buoyancy aid and it's the same suit you wear on the bike and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It's quite a delicate garment and I've never actually worn it in the pool. I might do one 1,000m TT over the next few weeks just to compare it to other 1,000m TTs I've done recently. The only time I've worn it was in Mallorca last September. Apart from the possible TT, the next time I'll be wearing it is Mallorca this September. And that's assuming it's a non-wetsuit swim again.

P.S. I tried to find reference to speedsuits in the ITU rulebook. Admittedly I didn't look very hard, but my understanding is you can wear it as long as it gives no buoyancy aid and it's the same suit you wear on the bike and run.

Speedsuits are fine. They are approved by FINA and most of the elite level tri suits are built with the same fabrics.

Floaty neoprene jammers are not allowed in non wetsuit swims.

AKW wrote: »
    Speedsuits are fine. They are approved by FINA and most of the elite level tri suits are built with the same fabrics.

Floaty neoprene jammers are not allowed in non wetsuit swims.

I'm aware they're fine for most races and I realise I didn't make this clear in my original post, but I think for triathlons with a pool swim a swimsuit is only okay as long as you wear it on the bike and run as well.

I could be wrong and I am open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Good man Joe. Did we get a little prize?

Cheers Folks.
    Did we get a little prize?

Not sure to be honest. didn't hang around too long after the race and was only when I get home I seen that I was third in the category. Sure I'll wait by the letter box to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I'm aware they're fine for most races and I realise I didn't make this clear in my original post, but I think for triathlons with a pool swim a swimsuit is only okay as long as you wear it on the bike and run as well.

I could be wrong and I am open to correction on this.

i have seen people wearing them in ti sanctioned pool events and take them of after swim and iam not aware that they are not allowed in a pool tri.
    what you cant have in the swim is a garmet that coveers your shoulders completely in an non wetsuit swim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement