Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place in dublin for whiskey tasting

Options
  • 31-03-2015 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Im interested in getting to know a little about whiskey outside of the standard jameson, paddy, powers and i want to know what i really like.

Can anyone recommend a good place for whiskey tasting in dublin?

I know i can go into any pub with a good selection and get a glass of each but id like to be guided a little as honestly i dont know much in this area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

http://www.irishwhiskeytours.ie/

Does four tastings of great whiskeys across four lovely pubs in town renowned for their selection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

You might like to check out the Irish Whiskey Society. They do frequent tasting events in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I was in Bowes on Fleet Street a few weeks back and they had a very knowledgeable bar man there and a great range.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doing this in an urban pub is going to be very very dear over an organised tasting. Some of the stuff you'll probably want will be well over a tenner for a single

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

L1011 wrote: »
    Doing this in an urban pub is going to be very very dear over an organised tasting. Some of the stuff you'll probably want will be well over a tenner for a single

absolutely, thats why i asked specifically for whiskey tasting. I know of plenty of pubs with a well stocked top shelf, but thats no good to me as I just want a tasting, with someone to advise and guide me not a full measure of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    absolutely, thats why i asked specifically for whiskey tasting. I know of plenty of pubs with a well stocked top shelf, but thats no good to me as I just want a tasting, with someone to advise and guide me not a full measure of everything.

What is your budget for this tasting session. If you are doing a tour, the organisers will have to be paid too. I imagine this is normally done in small enough groups.
    Pubs may not be able to sell spirits, in sizes smaller than a standard measure. Relevant acts that might be worth consulting.

Licensing (Ireland) Act, 1902

1902, c. 18

Finance (1909-10) Act, 1910

1910, c. 8

Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1927

1927, No. 15

Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1943

1943, No. 7

Tourist Traffic Act, 1952

1952, No. 15

Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1953

1953, No. 30

Registration of Clubs (Ireland) Act, 1904

1904, c. 9

Illicit Distillation (Ireland) Act, 1831

1831, c. 55

Public House (Ireland) Act, 1855

1855, c. 114

Licensing (Ireland) Act, 1833

1833, c. 68

Spirits (Ireland) Act, 1854

1854, c. 89

Interpretation Act, 1937

1937 No. 38

Sale of Food and Drugs Act Amendment Act, 1879

1879, c. 30

Intoxicating Liquor (General) Act, 1924

1924, No. 62

Refreshment Houses (Ireland) Act, 1860

1860, c. 107

Weights and Measure Act, 1878

1878, c. 49

Licensing Act, 1872

1872, c. 94

it will only be for 2 people and id be happy to pay 30 quid each.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

L.Mulligan Grocers have a great whiskey selection and a lot of the staff are very knowledgable. http://lmulligangrocer.com/

57 The Headline is also a good spot for whiskey and they do whiskey tasting trays. If you ring ahead to see if Geoff is working he'll be able to talk you through the different trays.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

Apologies! As with any tasting you can obviously share a glass of whiskey between 2, 3 or 4 people so range and knowledge would be most important I would think, and this can be done in a good few pubs as mentioned by others.

Organised tastings are absolutely a different thing to be sure and I presume much more expensive than a DIY with a knowledgeable barman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What is your budget for this tasting session. If you are doing a tour, the organisers will have to be paid too. I imagine this is normally done in small enough groups.
    Pubs may not be able to sell spirits, in sizes smaller than a standard measure. Relevant acts that might be worth consulting.

Licensing (Ireland) Act, 1902

1902, c. 18

Finance (1909-10) Act, 1910

1910, c. 8

Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1927

1927, No. 15

Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1943

1943, No. 7

Tourist Traffic Act, 1952

1952, No. 15

Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1953

1953, No. 30

Registration of Clubs (Ireland) Act, 1904

1904, c. 9

Illicit Distillation (Ireland) Act, 1831

1831, c. 55

Public House (Ireland) Act, 1855

1855, c. 114

Licensing (Ireland) Act, 1833

1833, c. 68

Spirits (Ireland) Act, 1854

1854, c. 89

Interpretation Act, 1937

1937 No. 38

Sale of Food and Drugs Act Amendment Act, 1879

1879, c. 30

Intoxicating Liquor (General) Act, 1924

1924, No. 62

Refreshment Houses (Ireland) Act, 1860

1860, c. 107

Weights and Measure Act, 1878

1878, c. 49

Licensing Act, 1872

1872, c. 94

Really? The OP wants to do a whiskey tasting (maybe at a bar), not train for the bar. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Really? The OP wants to do a whiskey tasting (maybe at a bar), not train for the bar. :)

Basically there are official rules on the legality of measures for spirits. Serving anything less than in a pub, could be considered short selling, regardless of the cost incurred by the customer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Basically there are official rules on the legality of measures for spirits. Serving anything less than in a pub, could be considered short selling, regardless of the cost incurred by the customer.

That's not true. They can serve any measurement of spirits as long as the price of a 35.5ml measure is displayed and the smaller (or larger) measure is priced pro-rata.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd recommend joining the Celtic Whiskey Shop mailing list. They usually run a tasting once per month and are in general very good and well worth the price of admission, and no need to read through various acts of legislation either.

There is also the Celtic Whisky Club which involves a monthly fee and they send you out samples of whiskey to taste at home but the organised tasting would be better.

e.g upcoming would be:

Ardbeg Distillery Tasting- 23rd April
    Cask Stength Whisky Tasting - 14th May

Found a whiskey tasting in Brook's hotel just off Fleet Street, hopefully going to give it a go at the weekend.

Thanks for the help all.

Advertisement