Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a car seat in a van

Options
  • 31-03-2015 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Does anyone know anything about using a baby's car seat in a commercial van.

The car seat is the rear-facing one for a small baby and we are hoping to use it in the middle seat of a van. The van does not have air bags, but only has a lap belt.

The instructions on the car seat say that it must be a 3-point harness, but I think I can get a belt adapter in Halfords to conver the lap-belt.

Has anyone any experience of this and whether it works or not?

I've also posted in the motoring section, but might have better luck here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Once it is installed properly (with a 3 point seat belt, I'm not sure if converters would be safe enough?) and is not beside an airbag it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I don't see how you could convert a lap belt. Where would the upper anchor be? Do the outside seats have 3-point harnesses? Could the passenger sit in the middle and the baby seat on the outside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We have a commercial. Baby seat we put in the seat by the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

Ok, thanks all. Think we are just going to put seat in the main passenger seat rather than in the middle.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

My understanding is once the baby/child is in the appropriate seat for weight and height etc then there is no problem. (I'd agree with pwurple, I'd put them by the window)

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Safety%20for%20kids/Child%20Safety%20in%20Cars%20English.pdf

Not sure how true this is ... but I was told of someone that was pulled over for having a child in the car seat in a commerical van, he was dropping the child to child minder on his way to work, and was warned that the tax and insurance was commerical and not for domestic/pleasure??? Probably just a Garda having a bad day????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Well, that could be quite true,it's a question for the insurance company, and one I'd definitely be asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What about using a forward facing seat, 3yr old child, in the front seat of car? Is this legal safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

What about using a forward facing seat, 3yr old child, in the front seat of car? Is this legal safe?

It would appear to be, so long as they are in an appropriate car seat.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/How-it-works/

It is safe and legal for a child of any age to sit in the front passenger seat of a car provided they are using the correct child restraint for their height and weight.

Advertisement