Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out how many houses in a housing estate?

Options
  • 31-03-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Is there any place that has a register of how many houses/units are in each housing estate in a city?

I'm considering buying in Galway city, but would prefer a small housing estate - rather than driving in to each individual estate & trying to count up the approx number of houses, is there anywhere online that I can find this out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

why not use google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You could check the original developer application on the council's planning database. (Available on the web).

But it may be quicker to drive to the estates to check!

Or just post a list of estates you're interested in on the Galway City forum, it's likely posters there can give you a rough idea. (Boards.ie, Ireland' human Google!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You can't beat local knowledge.

I grew up in no 76 of an estate in Galway that has over 100 houses in it. Our house was located in a completely self-contained, cul-de-sac of about 24 houses a few yards down the road from the entrance to the estate "proper"... so was in effect a small estate in it's own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Thanks all - some of the estates in Galway, the numbers on the doors dont match the overall number of houses iykwim - great fun when I was trying to find student accommodation back in the day!
    At the moment I'm looking at estates West of the city - so Knocknacarra, Salthill, Ballymoneen road type of areas.

While I know some of the larger estate names (Cartur Mor and Sli na Sruthan both seem to have 100-200 + houses in them), I'm not sure about the others around the Clybaun Road/Bothair Stiofain area.

I'll try my luck with google maps, and go from there.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

boogaloop wrote: »
    Thanks all - some of the estates in Galway, the numbers on the doors dont match the overall number of houses iykwim - great fun when I was trying to find student accommodation back in the day!
    At the moment I'm looking at estates West of the city - so Knocknacarra, Salthill, Ballymoneen road type of areas.

While I know some of the larger estate names (Cartur Mor and Sli na Sruthan both seem to have 100-200 + houses in them), I'm not sure about the others around the Clybaun Road/Bothair Stiofain area.

I'll try my luck with google maps, and go from there.

Thanks again.

Google Street view should help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why not call/mail a few local estate agents and see if they have anything that might suit you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Check the electoral register at a library or council office?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Thanks everyone, I think I'll do a bit of driving around at the weekend, see what's what.

Hard to still get a proper view/feel of it on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

www.osi.ie

You'll have to count by hand, but if you zoom all the way in, every property is marked and numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm considering buying in Galway city, but would prefer a small housing estate
    Is this being overly fussy? Surely a good house in a bigger estate is better than a bad house in a small estate?

Think: property type & size, schools, shops, commuting to work, doctor, dentist, other services ...
    Note the commuting headaches if you are working on the east side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

thoms directory is listed by house number i think so you could get that in the library and count?

Advertisement