Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling Europe on Irish Visa?

Options
  • 31-03-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, just posting this on behalf of a friend. Well, 2 friends really, 1 is from China and one is from The Philippines and both are living here. Is it true that in order for either of them to go even for a day or two to the UK, or Mainland Europe, that they need to apply for a visa for any country they enter in their own country/or maybe Irish embassy again? Is there no allowance for even a few days travel on a quick holiday? Is there any way around this and any special allowance given they hold a valid Visa of an EU country already?

Also, maybe this part is better asked in motors, but I understand they are only allowed drive on their International drivers license for up to one year, after which time they need to get an Irish license, if they do this, do they have to start from scratch with theory, provisional, full testing etc even though they have a full license in their country and as an International license?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

cormie wrote: »
    Hi there, just posting this on behalf of a friend. Well, 2 friends really, 1 is from China and one is from The Philippines and both are living here. Is it true that in order for either of them to go even for a day or two to the UK, or Mainland Europe, that they need to apply for a visa for any country they enter in their own country/or maybe Irish embassy again? Is there no allowance for even a few days travel on a quick holiday? Is there any way around this and any special allowance given they hold a valid Visa of an EU country already?

Also, maybe this part is better asked in motors, but I understand they are only allowed drive on their International drivers license for up to one year, after which time they need to get an Irish license, if they do this, do they have to start from scratch with theory, provisional, full testing etc even though they have a full license in their country and as an International license?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Hi,

They can apply for BIVS
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/visas/visas-for-ireland/

http://web.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/bivs%20faq.docx

To visit other countries in the Schengen area they apply for a Visa in the Country they are first going to visit and that Schengen Visa will be good for all over the Schengen Area.

There is no way around it unfortunately, they would have to apply through their own countries embassy.

For driving license, you are correct, its one year but China is not on the exchange so they would have to start from scratch after that.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the reply.

So only the Chinese guy will be able to get the BIVS? I see only China and India listed under Schedule 4. I don't see The Philippines mentioned anywhere on that link?

Have you any idea how long the Schengen visas would last and if there's a charge too?

Re License: So my Filipino friend should be able to just apply for a full license straight away, but my Chinese friend would have to start from scratch even if they both held full licenses in their respective countries of origin?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

So only the Chinese guy will be able to get the BIVS? I see only China and India listed under Schedule 4. I don't see The Philippines mentioned anywhere on that link?

Yes
    Have you any idea how long the Schengen visas would last and if there's a charge too?

60 euros for up to 90 days as far as I know.
    E.G.
    http://www.government.nl/issues/visa-for-the-netherlands-and-the-caribbean-parts-of-the-kingdom/short-stay-visas-for-the-netherlands/applying-for-a-schengen-visa
    Re License: So my Filipino friend should be able to just apply for a full license straight away, but my Chinese friend would have to start from scratch even if they both held full licenses in their respective countries of origin?

No, neither are valid for exchange in Ireland. They both have to start from scratch.

Although they can rent a car for up to 1 year from date of Entry on their existing licenses with the IDP

Thanks again for the help! €60 isn't so bad if it's for 90 days, pity it can't be used for the UK to, I guess the Filipino will need to apply for a regular UK Visa to be able to go there which is a pity! Pity about them both having to start from scratch too, it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have to pay for the lessons, wait the 6 months or whatever it is and all the rest since they've already proved their competence and have been allowed drive for one year as a fully licensed driver anyway :(

Hi again, just had a thought on this. If you don't need a passport to travel from Ireland and the UK and a driver's license will suffice, if either of these guys got an Irish drivers license, would that allow them entry into the UK without any issues?

• Advertisement

Hi again, just had a thought on this. If you don't need a passport to travel from Ireland and the UK and a driver's license will suffice, if either of these guys got an Irish drivers license, would that allow them entry into the UK without any issues?

There is no border control between Ireland and the UK, the ID is for the Airline / Ferry.

However if they are caught in the UK they will have a problem

Oh right so they need to have the visa while in the UK regardless of how they got there? Didn't really think that through :o

The police at the ferry port entering the UK may be more likely to pull their vehicle over if they saw them too I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have been to Wales and there is no border control. The ID is to check the ticket is actually you. But if they got stopped by the police, they can be deported back to their home country for unlawful entry. Its like the US/Canada border. Just because you can walk into the US from Canada, doesnt mean it was legal to enter the US

Thanks for the input, that's pretty annoying. Can't even bring my friend with me on a little 2 day trip to the UK :mad:

Advertisement