Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin company halving number of collections

Options
  • 31-03-2015 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here, I paid my bin company in October for 12 months, they've now announced they are changing the frequency of pick ups from weekly to fortnightly.

I've complained to them and am awaiting a call back. I've simply stated that for 7 months I'll be getting half the service I used to get, so I therefore want 3.5 months credit onto the account.

I think this is reasonable. Sale of Goods, Supply of Services type stuff here. The reason I renewed was because of weekly collections. The other operators in the area are mostly fortnightly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. From their side, it might set a precedent though, and they'd be better off refunding you than give all customers 3.5 months extra service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

if youre referring to thorntons who started that same practice in march, I had same issue, Ive a large family and wouldnt make it to the end of 2 weeks so they sent me out another black bin which Ive no problem with.

the amount of waste theyre collecting is still the same which is what they base their charge on for me. I'll be moving to the cheaper rate of per pick up option at end of year though since this move came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

My crowd weren't Thorntons, they stuck a couple of months credit on the account. However, Thorntons were doing weekly pickups in Maynooth. Looks like a crafty move on the whole industry moving to fortnightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

If I was running a bin company i would have thought it make sense overall and has been coming for a while. largest part of the running costs is labour. theyve just halved them (in theory, reality not withstanding) to make sure theyre competitive in a race to the bottom of waste service providors (phrase coined recently by someone in the industry)

Thorntons moved to a per lift system 2 years ago in my area, as such people were recycling more and saving their bins for a bi-weekly pickup so they've been used to it in the main.
    larger families, those not green-minded might be more affected but the double bin caters for that.
    makes it easier for me to remember when to put bins out as well. alternate wednesdays black and green.

note: I just re-read that and it makes it look like Im very happy with it, Im not any more or less happy with it then before the bi-weekly thing came in. Long as the bins are collected Im good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

do bin companies still do weekly collections?

I haven't had weekly waste collections for over 10 years.

We do have waste one week and recycling the next week.

With the amount of stuff that can be recycled these days, it would be difficult for anyone to have a full waste bin every week.

In any case the op has paid for a waste and recylcing collection service - if there's a change int he terms and conditions, the op can leave the current service and get a full refund of any monies paid in advance when the account is closed.

If the op is staying with the current service, then they must accept the new service schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Panda do weekly black bin collection, not that I use it every week, but I'd hate to miss a collection or fill my bin the day before a weekly collection, to have to wait an extra week for the fortnightly one - when you are paying a fixed charge, lift charge and weight charge, you want to get your monies worth..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Our collection in Wicklow has been waste one week recycling the next for about the last year / year and a half

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Staplor wrote: »
    My crowd weren't Thorntons, they stuck a couple of months credit on the account. However, Thorntons were doing weekly pickups in Maynooth. Looks like a crafty move on the whole industry moving to fortnightly.

Thorntons have only done fortnightly pickups (of each bin - one or two out each week) for me for about five years in Maynooth

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

you should ask for 7 months extra not 3.5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I wish Panda would do green/brown bin each week and move the black bin fortnightly or monthly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think there is an issue with the brown bin only going fortnightly in the summer months alright. A girl I know has had rats burrow holes in the back of her bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think there is an issue with the brown bin only going fortnightly in the summer months alright. A girl I know has had rats burrow holes in the back of her bin.

If compostible waste of a fortnight or less has rats chewing through a bin, her problem is not the bins but the source of the rats. My brown bin is every 2 weeks and I only leave a black bin out once every 2 months or so - never had a vermin problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If compostible waste of a fortnight or less has rats chewing through a bin, her problem is not the bins but the source of the rats.

+1 and the amount of meat waste she must be putting in the bin. Rats aren't interested in decaying plant (fruit & veg) waste so don't bother with compost bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 and the amount of meat waste she must be putting in the bin. Rats aren't interested in decaying plant (fruit & veg) waste so don't bother with compost bins.

And it's trivial to freeze some waste for 10 days or so. It's what I do with chicken after I debone it. Put it in the brown bin from the freezer.

We managed to put out only five black bins last year - it would have been only four except of the Xmas period. Three of us in the house.

On renewal I was told to put out my black bin more as the bins were too heavy. Panda are obviously weighing the bins even though they charge per lift. They can't provide a way for me to weigh my bin and I'm not putting out a bin only half full.

If I wanted to, I'd probably get another few weeks out of each bin if I used the old "jump up and down to squish more in technic".

Edit: Never had a vermin problem or problem with smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

by the by, does anyone know how much it is to put out a brown bin with greyhound?
    I am with thorntons myself, who have in my area done every other week collection of (brown/black) Or (Green) bins for years now.

I left greyhound because of their terrible customer service at the time years ago, but someone has asked me to find out how much it is to get their brown bin removed, just checked the Greyhound website and it is not obvious what their costs for removal are, or what it might work out at if a set amount is paid and you put each bin out for the maximum amount of times.

edit, I dont know how anyone could be putting out much more than 4 brown bins a year? I recycle as much as possible with domestic waste, black bins weigh a ton (tonne :)) going out and are only put out every 2 but lately it was 3 months, green just go out when needed, so maybe once a month or every two weeks if needed, but the brown one only goes out once to twice in an annual timeframe. I found putting each recycled waste amount from a waste peelings bin in the house which I use a compostable bag in has kept the brown bin from smelling too much or having a plague of flies emanate when you open the lid, some cooked bones like chicken bones make it in, but the dog gets most meat waste, followed by the cat, who I suspect both put off rats also.

Do you have a garden with grass? I've only a small garden, but that's a brown bin a week during summer months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

God we have a weekly collection and we need it

Advertisement