Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem building my website

Options
  • 30-03-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

A web designer is currently designing my website....i am in contact with a back end developer who has stated he needs the pages in html format. He is creating the data layer and server of the website. Despite being told by the designer that html is fine she is now telling me she has them in psd files which can easily be adjusted by the back end. Long story short...i am yet to pay her but will finalise a smaller amount for this...i love her designs. So how can i bridge this gap between getting them in psd and getting them converted to html before I send to the developer. Can i outsource this to convert them? Any advice would be great. Im not tech and yes im sure people will say its her job etc but i need a solution! Thanks again

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Might be worth a look http://www.psdtoweb.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭readytorock

Itzy wrote: »

Hi thanks. Is this easily converted to html??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It's worth a try. I never used myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Itzy wrote: »
    It looks like it simply converts each element into PNG files, even the text layers. That might be useful for the graphical elements.

Ah balls. My google search has been foiled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

A web designer is currently designing my website....i am in contact with a back end developer who has stated he needs the pages in html format. He is creating the data layer and server of the website. Despite being told by the designer that html is fine she is now telling me she has them in psd files which can easily be adjusted by the back end. Long story short...i am yet to pay her but will finalise a smaller amount for this...i love her designs. So how can i bridge this gap between getting them in psd and getting them converted to html before I send to the developer. Can i outsource this to convert them? Any advice would be great. Im not tech and yes im sure people will say its her job etc but i need a solution! Thanks again

It depends on what you requested from the designer, it sounds like the designer has sent you a mock up of the design in photoshop format which to me seems normal, this is what I would consider a designers job as, you now need a client side/front end web developer to make this design into a real thing using HTML/CSS/JavaScript.

If the designer is actually a designer and developer then you need to make sure you requested the actual implementation and not just the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

It depends on what you requested from the designer, it sounds like the designer has sent you a mock up of the design in photoshop format which to me seems normal, this is what I would consider a designers job as, you now need a client side/front end web developer to make this design into a real thing using HTML/CSS/JavaScript.

If the designer is actually a designer and developer then you need to make sure you requested the actual implementation and not just the design.

Precisely!

It's not clear from your original post whether it was the designer's responsibility to deliver code to the developer. If the agreement was for the designer to deliver psds and the developer to receive code then the "gap" is entirely your responsibility.

There is no automated plugin that will take care of this for you. You will need to hire somebody to turn the graphic files into code as per the specs provided by your developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bodzio69

As previous colleagues said, you need a front-end web developer who will write html, css and JavaScript code for you. There is probably a tons of software helping you convert psd to html but won't be 100% working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

You can google services such as http://www.psd2html.com/ For a few hunderd euro they will deliver the html/css. The one cavaet I would add is that you need to hold sign off until you have had a look at the css. Some of them may be poor. So I suppose your web dev would need decent css knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Email the developer, CCing the designer. Ask the developer to confirm what format they need the design supplied as.

Email the designer after the developer replies. Ask them if they can supply the design in the format the developer requested.

Confirm costs with both separately, in separate emails (before work commences, if it's not already too late).

If you're not happy with the answers, and work hasn't gotten underway, switch to an agency or all-in-one freelancer who can do the whole job without you project managing in the middle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement