Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Storage

Options
  • 30-03-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hey All,

I'm going to be picking up another watch this weekend which brings my tally to four. Therefore I've decided as a self respecting adult to look into a nice box/package in which I can store my collection and keep them in good condition.

So I figured I'd open a thread here to see if anybody has any recommendations? There's the usual ones on Amazon but if there's any handmade / Irish craft store / generally different or strange types of watch storage then by all means, point me in their direction.

Plus I figure no harm to discuss how you fine gents/ladies store your timepieces, I'm all ears!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

3 words.....Lidl Tea Box

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just lay them on a shelf I have. A dedicated box sounds like a good idea though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

[Paranoid] Two words; Floor safe. [/Paranoid] :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

If no safe then random places all separate to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Peli case. You could throw it at a wall and the watches would be perfectly safe.
    Image is of my one with an old insert holding 10 watches. I have a nicer more tidy insert there now, with space for8 watches. Case itself is quite small.

16824541511_5f18efbeb4_c.jpg

can get laser cut foam for the cases (and the cases) from The Martinator on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/themartinatorishere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Pottering

Interesting thread. I looked around a while back and ended up with one from Amazon in the end. 12 spaces on top under a glass cover (which I used for the watches I wear most frequently) and 12 in a drawer underneath (only recently started to fill this but it is useful for those recent acquisitions that I have not yet found the appropriate time to ‘introduce’ to my better half). Only suggestion I have is buy more storage spaces than you think you will need, you will probably fill them.

Looking forward to seeing what other suggestions people have as I’ll need more space soon if Wibbs keeps up this stream of ebay bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    3 words.....Lidl Tea Box

They're only in every now and again though correct? Will have to keep an eye out, I have a buddy working in Lidl though so could say it to him
    biko wrote: »
    I just lay them on a shelf I have. A dedicated box sounds like a good idea though.

At the moment I have a dresser that has a wooden box for my wallet, car keys, general pocket items and I lay out my watches in front of that but just to help them avoid gathering dust and keep them protected I like the idea of a dedicated box - once it's not too large of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I bought this a couple of months ago, I recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/chinkyboo-Pack-Watch-Display-Leather/dp/B004S9ODY8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I got a Fossil leather bound box a few years back, which has space for 10 watches. Not unalike the below.

The only issue is, if your place does get broken in to, you've basically gift wrapped every one of your watches in a convenient location for the thief.

2487926-2-4x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Umbongo uk

Hillwood do some nice-looking boxes which, though not cheap, don't go into the bespoke silly money realm.

The comment about having all your babies in one basket for a burglar also rings true though - theres no substitute for a good concealed safe and insurance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I bought a lovely hardwood box to store/display my expensive watches but basically its madness. Once they know you have a nice box or real watch boxes then they are going to know you have watches. Ive put the nice display box and the rolex boxes in my business loft and the watches are scattered around the place at home where no one is going to find them with a metal detector or not.
    Safes are easily found with metal detectors and the crooks come ready with them. People I know had their safe ripped off and I think they got away with around 80k of jewellery/cash...
    You would need a concreted in floor safe and a very good security system with motion sensors, and monitoring with failsafe ie if they jam the gsm or cut the phone line so they wont have much time. Saying that if they break in a see a safe they may be back monitoring or not and it could be where they push you in the door as happened to someone I know and robbed his rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think it's worth pointing out that none of my watches are worth over €200/250 so I'm not massively worried about a burglary. With that said, whenever I do get my own apartment/house, a safe will be purchased!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lomb wrote: »
    Safes are easily found with metal detectors and the crooks come ready with them.
    :eek:
    it could be where they push you in the door as happened to someone I know and robbed his rolex.
    :eek::eek:

Really? To both sentences. Bloody hell. :mad: I have heard tell of doorbells ringing at night and hand over your car keys alright.

I've a concreted in safe. I also spread my stuff all over my house, but unlike a squirrel who knows where his stash is I often forget. :o That's fun. I did look into insurance a few years back, but the quotes were a bit mad. It's extremely rare my house would be empty so that helps. I'd love to have them in a cool watch box, but I would be majorly para. As Umbongo and Lurching noted you're essentially gift wrapping your watches for the scum.

Like D, most of my stuff is or was pretty cheap and much of it wouldn't attract attention, or at least not be mistaken for expensive, especially the quartz pieces. No Rolex, Omegas JLC's kinda thing. Still though a couple would be near impossible to replace no matter what any insurance paid out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

I actually bought a second hand safe haven on adverts and leave it on view
    In my office in the hope that they will grab it and run thinking they've hit the jackpot! They will be very disappointed when they get it open :D keep the watches hidden elsewhere :pac:

Wibbs wrote: »
    :eek:

:eek::eek:

Really? To both sentences. Bloody hell. :mad: I have heard tell of doorbells ringing at night and hand over your car keys alright.

I've a concreted in safe. I also spread my stuff all over my house, but unlike a squirrel who knows where his stash is I often forget. :o That's fun. I did look into insurance a few years back, but the quotes were a bit mad. It's extremely rare my house would be empty so that helps. I'd love to have them in a cool watch box, but I would be majorly para. As Umbongo and Lurching noted you're essentially gift wrapping your watches for the scum.

Like D, most of my stuff is or was pretty cheap and much of it wouldn't attract attention, or at least not be mistaken for expensive, especially the quartz pieces. No Rolex, Omegas JLC's kinda thing. Still though a couple would be near impossible to replace no matter what any insurance paid out.

Yes, Dublin... They nicked his safe out of the attick (metal detector again?) with watches in it( 4 rolexes I think) and came back 2 weeks later. Rang the door bell at 4pm, he opened it, they pushed him in and robbed his rolex off his wrist and wallet and did a legger.

Another elsewhere in dublin was where they came with metal detectors and found the safe with the 80k in jewellery in it. They came back twice later and they had to sell their very expensive house as they didnt want to live there anymore.

Not doubting what you heard I, but TBH I'd be very dubious about the metal detector part. Sounds more than a little far fetched. hearsay kinda thing. They don't need metal detectors or any of that. Plus a metal detector in a house will be going off all the time, what with pipework, central heating, wiring etc. It would be an extremely noisy environment. People often give scum far more ingenuity than they actually possess. It somehow makes the victim feel better about the whole thing. Oh it wasn't a junkie, we got robbed by professionals. The police told us, oh yes kinda thing. You see it with car thefts too. And this stuff always gets more impressive with the telling.

Much more likely they had a root around and just found said safe. I've known of a couple of more "pro" burglaries(rather than the junkie smash and grab type) where they searched very specifically, ignoring some obvious places and things, with the attic being hit on both occasions(in one they also spotted the two fake electrical outlets hiding small safes). It's a very common place people think scum won't look, but the career scum know this and do. They get very practiced at their thievery and share "trade secrets". It's like people sticking valuables in socks at the back of drawers or taping things to the bottom of drawers, or hiding valuables in their fridge freezer or in fake cans in cupboards or in toilet cisterns etc. Scum get to that stuff almost immediately.

Fair enough. But you can set a metal detector to gold setting and scan the sock drawers in females rooms. It wouldnt take too long to find a floor safe or wall safe with one either I wouldnt think. Then you have the lot there for them to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

I have the Amazon box linked to earlier, Looks nice and does the job, that said my collection costs bout 300 in total and if they were ever stolen, there is only one I would consider replacing so for now, they will stay in the display box.

If and when I get onto having a nice expensive collection, I'm thinking a safe is the way to go.

Advertisement