Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a technician??

Options
  • 30-03-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all.

Im looking for some solid advice from people in the trade.

Im a qualified mechanical maintenance technician and have been for the past 6 years. I have been looking for a new job for quiet some time now but its proving quiet difficult for a number of reasons. First off I live in the midlands where jobs in my desired field are very scarce. Any maintenance jobs that do pop up tend to lean towards electrical maintenance which is not my strong point. I am currently in a job where I get to perform planned maintenance for 5-6 weeks of the year which is very little. The rest of the year is taken up with fabrication.

I have been in this job for 7 years now and although its not a bad job, its very much a dead end and I feel its as far as I can advance in this field. Its not where I should be in terms of my career.

Asides from my basic electrical knowledge, I do have a very strong skill set (and experience to back it up) to fit into a maintenance role. These include 4 years in a toolmaking environment, and 7 years in fabrication centered around stainless steel and aluminium TIG welding.

Ideally I would love to get into pharmaceutical or food/beverage facility maintenance to get some good solid experience and then go back to college to do an Engineering Systems Maintenance course. But how do I get a job for experience when I dont have relative experience to gain a job. It almost feels like I am in limbo in regards to my career.

Is there anything I should be doing to boost my chances? I have been told that my C.V is excellent on a number of occasions so Im not particularly worried about that. I always send a dedicated cover letter for each job application. But Im just not getting noticed. Id love to do an electrical course but money is quiet tight.

Any advice at all would be a great help or even just a point in the right direction.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you thought about doing any part time/distance courses in any of the IT's. Some of these courses are set up so you don't neccessarily have to attend the college, or would do so only every now and again.

Have a look through their websites and see what they have to offer. I know Sligo IT do a lot of these distances courses.

If you say the jobs coming up are electrical biased have you thought of doing anything to improve your electrical side. Automation could be a good area to get into too.

Advertisement