Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Atlantic Way, start & end in Dublin

Options
  • 30-03-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy.

A few friends and I want to drive down the Wild Atlantic Way (also known as the west coast to non-tourists!) in May. We're from Dublin so need to start and finish there.

We've all travelled around Galway and Clare quite a bit already, and have done Cliffs of Moher etc, but have seen less of Donegal and Cork.

Any suggestions for a route and good stop off points? Is three days enough or should we give ourselves four or five?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Tusky wrote: »
    Howdy.

A few friends and I want to drive down the Wild Atlantic Way (also known as the west coast to non-tourists!) in May. We're from Dublin so need to start and finish there.

We've all travelled around Galway and Clare quite a bit already, and have done Cliffs of Moher etc, but have seen less of Donegal and Cork.

Any suggestions for a route and good stop off points? Is three days enough or should we give ourselves four or five?

Thanks!

You should look at the Sligo to Derry section.

Probably get a good tour of it in four or five days.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Tusky wrote: »
    Howdy.

Thanks!

If you are trying to include Cork and Donegal, then you need way more than 3-5 days.

For the North-West, I will attempt 3 day itinerary and this is really cramming things in. You will see most places on the way but I have highlighted my personal favourites.

Day 1
    Sligo-Glenties/Ardara, Co,Donegal

Rosses Point-Mullaghmore-Rossnowlagh-St.Johns Point(not on WAW but worth the side trip)-Slieve League-Malinmore(Silver Strand)-Glengesh-Glenties/Ardara

Day 2
    Glenties-Letterkenny

Aranmore Island(if you have the time)-Carrickfinn-Bloody Foreland-Horn Head-Atlantic Drive-Fanad Drive(Lighthouse and Portsalon beach musts)-Rathmullan-Letterkenny

Day 3
    Inishowen

Fort Dunree-Mamore Gap-Doagh Famine Village-Five Fingers Strand-Malin head-Kinnegoe Bay-Stroove Lighthouse-Derry

If you have good weather it will be an amazing trip. The Northwest is amazing. Always happy to give more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you are trying to include Cork and Donegal, then you need way more than 3-5 days.

For the North-West, I will attempt 3 day itinerary and this is really cramming things in. You will see most places on the way but I have highlighted my personal favourites.

Day 1
    Sligo-Glenties/Ardara, Co,Donegal

Rosses Point-Mullaghmore-Rossnowlagh-St.Johns Point(not on WAW but worth the side trip)-Slieve League-Malinmore(Silver Strand)-Glengesh-Glenties/Ardara

Day 2
    Glenties-Letterkenny

Aranmore Island(if you have the time)-Carrickfinn-Bloody Foreland-Horn Head-Atlantic Drive-Fanad Drive(Lighthouse and Portsalon beach musts)-Rathmullan-Letterkenny

Day 3
    Inishowen

Fort Dunree-Mamore Gap-Doagh Famine Village-Five Fingers Strand-Malin head-Kinnegoe Bay-Stroove Lighthouse-Derry

If you have good weather it will be an amazing trip. The Northwest is amazing. Always happy to give more info.

This is great info, thanks! I guess the fourth day could be used to drive from Dublin to Sligo, and then Derry to Dublin? How does this route compare to SW and W for coastal driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Day one, I would start at Strandhill/Knocknarae. Knocknarae will have a new walking trail up it, Queen Maeve's Trail by May and you'll get some stunning views looking over Sligo and its bay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And lunch in Shells cafe. (Strandhill);

• Advertisement
Advertisement