Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Modest Mouse Album.

• 30-03-2015 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Lets see how things stand after the release of 'strangers to ourselves'!
    Its a good album no doubt but where does it stand amongst their glittering discography.

This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About (1996)
    The Lonesome Crowded West (1997)
    The Moon & Antarctica (2000)
    Good News for People Who Love Bad News (2004)
    We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (2007)
    Strangers to Ourselves (2015)

Best Modest Mouse Album 23 votes

This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About
    0%
    The Lonesome Crowded West
    8%
    Morrison JOhHiMark 2 votes
    The Moon & Antarctica
    13%
    GoWithTheFlowRichFTWEverythin coming up Milhouse 3 votes
    Good News for People Who Love Bad News
    52%
    Kablamo!eyeball kidtimmaiiGonzovisionOne_Armed_DwarfA NeuroticalleystariamanengineForeign SportsPenkinsGriever931Anesthetize 12 votes
    We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
    13%
    dougaldegzsIrish_rat 3 votes
    Strangers to Ourselves
    13%
    Thundercats HoBattleflagIamNotNumber 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The Moon & Antarctica without a doubt. I feel like their first two albums were building up to it and that it's the logical conclusion of the early part of their career. It's one of the very, very few albums that I would rate a solid 10/10. From beginning to end it is magnificent and is the band's definitive statement.

After The Moon & Antarctica they were just never as good. Good News for People Who Love Bad News was decent enough overall and had some good tunes. We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank was just bad, the less that can be said about it the better. Strangers to Ourselves is okay but it feels very inconsistent. For every song I enjoy on it there's another song that reminds me why I disliked We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Strangers to Ourselves
    Metacritic Score- -Album
    User Scores

70 Strangers to Ourselves 7.8
    78 We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank 8.6
    83 Good News For People Who Love Bad News 8.8
    82 The Moon & Antarctica 9.2

just posting this to say that its quite close between all these albums altough M&A is by user scores far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I've only listened to their first two albums but out of those two, I'd pick their debut. I plan on listening to more of their stuff though.

Strangers to Ourselves
    174 views ..6 votes ..jaysus it doesnt cost anythin to vote!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

The Lonesome Crowded West
    We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank was just bad, the less that can be said about it the better.

Eh, what? That is a fantastic album. Spitting Venom, Little Motel, Parting of the Sensory are all among my favourite Modest Mouse songs.

• Advertisement

Strangers to Ourselves
    Its not really about which album is better thats an unwinnable debate.I reckon alot of its is down to when you got into then ,I didnt hear of MM till float on hit the charts so it harder to appreciate how good those early album are.
    I like tracks off all these albums ..we had an interpol top 5 lets do a MM top 5 songs.I am pretty there are MM tracks I haven't heard espically from the earlier albums. Favorite MM record would have being a better thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

174 views ..6 votes ..jaysus it doesnt cost anythin to vote!!

Well, I didn't vote because I've listened to the first two albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

The Moon & Antarctica. A close call between that and the 1st 2 albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

The Moon & Antarctica
    Metacritic Score- -Album
    User Scores

70 Strangers to Ourselves 7.8
    78 We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank 8.6
    83 Good News For People Who Love Bad News 8.8
    82 The Moon & Antarctica 9.2

just posting this to say that its quite close between all these albums altough M&A is by user scores far ahead.

It's a pretty similar story on rateyourmusic.com but with the Lonesome Crowded West just shading it.

Strangers to Ourselves 3.00

We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank 3.33

Good News for People Who Love Bad News 3.62

This Is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About 3.76

The Moon & Antarctica 4.00

The Lonesome Crowded West 4.03

The Lonesome Crowded West does have less ratings though, 6,524 rating and 220 reviews, to The Moon & Antarctica's 8,786 ratings and 269 reviews which might be a factor.

Anyway the Lonesome Crowded West gets my vote. It's one of my favourite albums of all time, there's not a bad song on it and it captures a band completely in sync with each and IMO at the peak of their powers both lyrically and musically.

Advertisement