Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Visa -Boston

Options
  • 30-03-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Guys! I'm planning on heading to Boston this year on the graduate visa. I've already picked a sponsor and have put down a deposit.

I was wondering if anyone had any advise or if anyone else on here is heading to Boston?

I don't have an internship yet, though I am already applying for them (won't leave until August/September). My degree is in music and I don't have any contacts over there.

At the moment I'm saving as much as possible, and thinking I'll get temporary accommodation for when I arrive. Would two weeks be enough to find a place? I realise you guys aren't psychic but should that be enough?

Any advise or experiences would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

I'm doing the same, and I found Boston to be very expensive rent wise! Research the city and see where is save to live! I know their transport is very good so once you get somewhere on the train line you'll be doing well. House share is probably the cheapest way to get accommodation sorted. I know craigslist is really good, but make sure you don't pay anything until you've seen the place. Another one to try is the college ads! It has a large college community and you can find a lot of rentals on that which might be more affordable. I know I'm aiming to have at least 5,000 with me before I go, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

A friend of mine did this last year. I can't emphasise enough to make contact before you go. Music - well you've Berkley there I suppose but what sort of job would you be looking for? Boston is expensive to rent. It's a young city though so it's great fun.

I think my friend had close to 20k saved and it took him to the last week of his available time to get a job to find one. He had a masters in finance. You'll find a lot of companies don't have the category or resources to hire under your sponsorship. It's awkward for them and I believe they probably need a reason to hire an Irish person over an American... not sure on that though.

Just get contacting people asap and looking for jobs - he had a nightmare. Now he was in finance so I can only speak for that.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thisisverylong

I'm saving about the same amount. I've been looking on craigslist the last few months to get an idea of what to expect with rent.

Didn't think of trying college ads, thanks! What city are you going to, if you don't mind me asking

Sorry for the double post but edit isn't working for me.

Cabla, was your friend looking for stuff before he went too? I'm just wondering if he got a job last minute because he hadn't researched beforehand, or if even doing that it was almost impossible?

I'm in Accounting and Finance, this news upsets me :( I'm hoping to go either Boston or Nashville! Been looking at a good few jobs, so hopefully one will work out! When you heading over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Sorry for the double post but edit isn't working for me.

Cabla, was your friend looking for stuff before he went too? I'm just wondering if he got a job last minute because he hadn't researched beforehand, or if even doing that it was almost impossible?

To be honest he had something lined up with the company he was working with in Dublin. Then when he got there HR had an issue with taking him in under the type of graduate visa. That's why I'm saying also be careful with that and if you find a role that a company is intereted in you for to make sure they can take you on the visa. I don't know the ins and outs but that's what happened.

After this he spent maybe a month or two looking and eventually got one at the last minute. He was in Boston. I lived there too and rent can be pricey alright. Great spot though and best of luck with getting a job. Definitely have a few interviews or meetings set up if you can before going.

Grayce23 wrote: »
    When you heading over?

Hey Grayce23 :) I'm planning on going around September, you?

Thanks for all the advice guys

I was thinking Jan/Feb myself! Just to have more time saving! It's so stressful to actually pick a time!

Yeah it's real hard to pick a time :/ I was going to go in July but then I was told that's the worst time to go. Much harder to get work then; that's what I've been told at least.

I've been saving as much as possible by living at home, but I'm on one of those infamous zero hour contracts at work, I don't know what I'll have earned by September :P

It seems like its really tough to get work, but I figure its worth the risk for the experience.

I haven't started saving :/ I just keep procrastinating! Sure I figure it's worth it for the experience, it's not often you get the opportunity to do something like this! I know if I take a job here I'm locked into a 3 1/2 year contract so may as well do it before then!

• Advertisement
Advertisement