Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isolation switches.

Options
  • 30-03-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, looking to put in a new kitchen, is it true that any inbuilt appliances have to have an isolation switch above the counter? So that would be a separate switch for the oven/fridge/dishwasher/microwave/and the washing machine? That just seems like allot of switches on show. Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Socket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch rated 20amp in an accessible position,eg on a wall above work top.

This includes integrated appliances and extractor fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TadSlow

meercat wrote: »
    Socket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch rated 20amp in an accessible position,eg on a wall above work top.

Thanks Meercat. One more question. Is it possible to get them put on the one switch?

It is possible
    You can get a grid switch type
    I'm not a big fan of them however as connecting up to four circuits inside the box is difficult.I prefer seperate isolators as then only 1 circuit is inside each box.
    Each isolator needs to be within 2 mts of appliance. Generally I would put a twin socket above the appliance with a 20a dp isolator beside it to feed the socket below.
    If you put 3 circuits in the kitchen,with a bit of planning most appliances can be on seperate circuits.install seperate circuit for fridge/freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm amazed at this, does this mean that practically every fridge, freezer, dishwasher, waste disposal and electrically sparked hob are breaking regs?

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm amazed at this, does this mean that practically every fridge, freezer, dishwasher, waste disposal and electrically sparked hob are breaking regs?

Depending on when the installation was completed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You must appreciate that many installations were wired before ET101:2008 was applicable.

There were also many installations that were wired post the new regulations. In these cases some electricians deliberately ignored this requirement while others were simply unaware.

I have seen many installations that do comply with this requirement. Thanks to CER customers now have a better chance of some recourse. I had very negitive experiences with RECI in the past when I tried to get some of thier electrical contractors to comply with the regulations even when an electrical test carried out by thier own inspector failed :eek:

The only post 2008 kitchen I'd be familiar with was wired by a friend of their cousin who was friends with an electrician or something like that, my experience is most likely flawed. So all new correctly fitted out kitchens should have banks of isolation switches on the walls!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

It can look an eyesore sometimes if there are too many switches but if they are placed next the counter top sockets they can blend in

2011 wrote: »
    You must appreciate that many installations were wired before ET101:2008 was applicable.

There were also many installations that were wired post the new regulations. In these cases some electricians deliberately ignored this requirement while others were simply unaware.

I have seen many installations that do comply with this requirement. Thanks to CER customers now have a better chance of some recourse. I had very negitive experiences with RECI in the past when I tried to get some of thier electrical contractors to comply with the regulations even when an electrical test carried out by thier own inspector failed :eek:

I must start mentioning my very positive experience with RECI every week to try and provide fair balance on this forum!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

17larsson wrote: »
    I must start mentioning my very positive experience with RECI every week to try and provide fair balance on this forum!

Express an accurate portrayal of your own experience by all means.

Deliberately aiming to mention a positive experience every week is different and would be considered a tad over the top.
    However one honest positive remark will even it up perfectly.
    To my knowlage there has only been one negitive remark about RECI on the electrical forum so far this year :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

So all new correctly fitted out kitchens should have banks of isolation switches on the walls!

Or have the socket fitted in an adjacent cupboard. Far more attractive and cheaper option. Win win imo.

• Advertisement

Or have the socket fitted in an adjacent cupboard. Far more attractive and cheaper option. Win win imo.
    Wouldn't that go against the point of making them readily accessible?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Conversations 3

Old thread but similar question.

Is an isolation switch necessary for sockets down low behind a tv, not readily accessible unless tv table is pulled out.

The regulations haven’t changed so I’d say yes but they may have been accessible when the installation was wired so contractor wouldn’t have foreseen. It would be advantageous to have an isolator for the outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Conversations 3

The regulations haven’t changed so I’d say yes but they may have been accessible when the installation was wired so contractor wouldn’t have foreseen. It would be advantageous to have an isolator for the outlets

True, better to have it in rather than go looking for it to be done afterwards.

Advertisement