Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the beginner shrimp keeper please?

Options
  • 30-03-2015 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hey guys!

Looking into keeping Cherry shrimp as pets in their own tank, looking for advice.

I have about a year's experience with fish, and have a couple tanks laying around that I can use (I do this thing where I'll buy tanks and they just sit around for ages).

So I have a plastic 23L with a lid (like the "child's first goldfish" ones you'll see in most pet stores), or I have a 2'x1' (that technically doesn't have a lid, but I do have one that'll fit it but doesn't have a light) and I'm torn between the choices.

Other info: I plan on using a thin layer of play sand as a substrate, I will move a cycled filter over from a different tank, and I want to use driftwood and low light plants and mosses (java fern, java moss, anubias...)

I don't know much about actual care for shrimp though, so I'd appreciate some comments/tips please!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Hillson

I have been keeping cherry shrimp for 6 months now.

I went with a black substrate and painted the back of the tank black (like how they paint them blue in fish shops), the reason why is the reds from the shrimp and the greens from the plants really make the colour pop.

I have Amazon swords, a nice bit of bog wood with moss on, and a load of vals at the back.

The Shrimp have been breeding and ive had lots of little babys swimming around. I feed the tank with flake as I have some guppies also and some shrimp tablets twice a week. I also have 2 otos to help the alge to be kept under control due to the heavy planting.

The cherrys seem very hardy, but I would recommend putting something over the filter to stop them getting sucked up, I use some old filter foam, also I have got a heater guard so they dont burn there feet.

Advertisement