Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redeployment and new two year rule

Options
  • 30-03-2015 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am currently in my second year in a school in Clare and would be due my CID under the new rules next year. I have full hours and my subject would definitely continue next year but I am very worried about redeployments. I have been told my the deputy in the school that this is a very real possibility as a school closure in Limerick means there is a large number on the panel in the area. I have contacted the union and they replied with this
    'Since CID contracts were introduced in schools it has always been the case that in the qualifying year for a CID that another teacher would not be redeployed in to the school blocking a teacher from obtaining a CID contract. This continues to be the case.'
    Does that mean I should be ok? I have been teaching for eight years and this is the closest I have come to getting a CID, I cannot face starting again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ejak1

I know that this is a very uncertain time. I can't see how you would not receive your CID under the current circular. However, even if you do receive a CID, someone with your subjects could be redeployed as a result of school closure into your school. You could be nominated for redeployment out of your school but would bring your CID. Please clarify this with the union. Every case is unique and in the case of school closure, those teachers will have to be redeployed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Gut feeling is that u should be ok, its year 1 employees that would be worried...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

The Driver, are you based in Munster? I have heard that voluntary redeployment is huge this year in Munster and that the Limerick school closing will effect non-perm teachers. Would there be enough one-year teachers to fill the gaps. I am in a similar situation to the OP but am hoping my area is not hit by redeployment. Can Munster teachers choose to be redeployed to bordering Leinster counties?

I am based in Munster but not much happening about redeployment yet. When I get anything on my desk, I will report back but at the moment there's nothing. Remember there's a few new schools opening too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Is there a 'distance to work' clause? If its too far then you can refuse redeployment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 shannongirl

Thanks for the replies. It is a worrying time of year for all non-perm staff. My understanding is that the distance clause is 50km, which my school would fall under. It is also open to voluntary redeployment which could affect other areas. I have heard conflicting numbers on the amount of teachers on the panel, but it will be a big increase on last year. I explained my situation to the union and their advice seems to be it hasn't happened in the past so it should continue like that in the future. However the deputy in my school seemed far less optimistic. I am sure I worked with a girl a few years ago who lost her job to a redeployment when she was due to receive her CID the following year. If I knew for certain that I would receive a CID I would get over being redeployed. I hate the thought of spending another nine weeks worrying over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

vamos! wrote: »
    The Driver, are you based in Munster? I have heard that voluntary redeployment is huge this year in Munster and that the Limerick school closing will effect non-perm teachers. Would there be enough one-year teachers to fill the gaps. I am in a similar situation to the OP but am hoping my area is not hit by redeployment. Can Munster teachers choose to be redeployed to bordering Leinster counties?

As far as I know if you apply for voluntary redeployment it is from Munster (pilot scheme) to any part of the country...that was my reading of the info we got anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Is there a 'distance to work' clause? If its too far then you can refuse redeployment!

I think so, we had a voluntary scheme in Connacht for the last couple of years. From what I remember teachers could nominate the areas they would be willing to move to, particularly if they were outside the 50km radius. One of the teachers in my school was offered redeployment 75km away. It was way closer to her home than my school was and was one of the areas she nominated, so she took it.

Unfortunately the union can be wrong with talk of what probably will be the case. But they aren't always correct in their advice or facts so you're right to be checking into it. I have had staff unhappy about something and marching in with the union rep only to realize their facts etc to be completely wrong.

Advertisement