Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling - Half Back Nuances

Options
  • 29-03-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey Everyone.

I just started playing over in the states (I am an American). I always knew what the sport was growing up, but finally started playing it (I admit starting in your late 20's can be tough). I got put at Half Back in my second year (I played a sort of defensive Mid Fielder in my first year). I am pretty fit and my defense a strength of my game.

I was wondering if anyone has some insight on how to properly play the position because I am figuring the position out as I go and I often get lost out there. I find myself getting stuck between playing aggressive vs opportunistic.

I would appreciate any help or insight possible.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Its the most important line on the team.

You need to win your ball in the air and scrap for possession on the ground. Or be very good at batting the ball or denying possession to your opponent with the Hurley.
    You cover back to protect your full back line and offer an 'out ball' to the full back line either inside or outside along the line.
    You need to position yourself in front of the midfield for puck outs.
    Sometimes you mark your own man, sometimes you've to cover space.
    Its a hard position.

Oh, and you have to take sideline cuts and occasional free too

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭LMK

As you'll find out Hurling is mostly about first touch control quickly followed by striking, the quicker you control the sliothar the more time you have on the ball. Master those 2 and you'll be half way there. One tip I'd give is to practice catching the sliothar first time as much as possible then striking without moving your feet - not in a match situation just when practicing with one other person, this helps to improve your wrist action when striking and helps get the ball under control quickly, controlling the ball with the hurley is more difficult to master.
    Regarding playing half back it depends on the standard of the teams involved, if the ball is moving at a pace that's consistent and quick you'll find (eventually) you'll anticipate or read the game to know where the ball is going by examining the swing of the guy striking the ball, if there is a lot of bunching and the ball is moving slowly then I'd recommend moving the ball on quickly be striking the ball from the ground as much as possible.
    In general you'd position yourself between your direct opponent and your own goals when play is progressing so you can always keep him in your sights, if the puck-outs (restarts!!) ar landing in the half-backline (yours) then practice batting the ball in the air, If you can master the skill of hooking an opponent thats tipping his hurley with yours when he has possesion and is about to strike the ball.

Advertisement