Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney/Kenmare ?

Options
  • 29-03-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Will be in the Kenmare / Killarney area for a couple of days over Easter.
    Wondering is there any decent pub with a selection of craft beers ?
    Heard about Courtney in Killarney, just wondering if there is anywhere else.
    searching online doesn't indicate a big choice which I found surprising, but I guess most of the foreign tourists are only looking for Guinness.

and any decent off license which would be worth a visit ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

In Kenmare I would recommend PF McCarthy's, they have a range of Irish craft beer in bottle (a good range of Galway bay) and one or to taps.

That probably the best in the the town

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I went to Courtney's last summer and as far as I could tell they only had Tom Crean's on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

I can't remember what was on draught in Courtney's last time I was there (around Sept) but I did have some Blacks of Kinsale bottles.

A few places should have beer from a new local brewery called Torc.

Scott's had Stonewell cider and some other bottles of irish beer I wasn't familiar with. Obviously there were no signs indicating they served craft beer. You have to walk and peer into every fridge or else ask the bar staff.

O'Connor's had O'Hara's IPA and some other bottles hidden away in a darkened fridge.

Sheahan's off licence also had a decent selection of of Irish, American and UK craft (Beavertown).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gooseberry

Torc Brewing have a wheat beer in Courtneys, the 98 and The Granary. The Granary also have Mountain Man on Tap and 9 White Deer in bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Thanks everyone.

Had Torc 5 malts on cask previously and wasn't too impressed but would be willing to give it another go and if I can sample the Wheat as well that would be cool. Mountain Man Green Bullet won't let me down, so all sorted.
    I'll plan on visiting Courtneys and The Granary and Sheahan's off licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Gooseberry wrote: »
    Torc Brewing have a wheat beer in Courtneys, the 98 and The Granary. The Granary also have Mountain Man on Tap and 9 White Deer in bottles.

Thanks, didn't know about The Granary.
    I got the 98 and Courtney's in the app/directory last year.

Courtney's might have very little on tap but it does have a good bottle selection.

I'm not sure if Killarney brewing has opened its doors but they will have a large tasting room / brewpub thing going on. Might be worth a short walk to take a look.

Saruman wrote: »
    Thanks, didn't know about The Granary.
    I got the 98 and Courtney's in the app/directory last year.

Courtney's might have very little on tap but it does have a good bottle selection.

I'm not sure if Killarney brewing has opened its doors but they will have a large tasting room / brewpub thing going on. Might be worth a short walk to take a look.

Killarney Brewing had a "opening in Spring 2015" sign up...
    Had a pint of their Golden Ale in Courtneys which was very nice, seems Mountain Man wasn't on tap so maybe it replaced that. Great selection of bottles alright, but place was freakishly quiet on Sun afternoon, so didn't linger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Any time I have been in Courtney's, it has been packed. That said, it's a very warm and cosy pub and Sunday afternoon was hot and sunny so I imagine that explains it.

Saruman wrote: »
    Any time I have been in Courtney's, it has been packed. That said, it's a very warm and cosy pub and Sunday afternoon was hot and sunny so I imagine that explains it.

Ah yeah, spot was nice and all that. Just very quiet and was too nice to linger indoors in a pub with a lit open fire when the sun was splitting the stones outside.
    I'll revisit.

Advertisement