Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP PLEASE

Options
  • 29-03-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

My cat brought this little fellow home, would like to identify him to give me an idea where to leave him for hopefully his parents to find him, possibly a Finch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's an adult goldcrest. Get him back outside into a hedge as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

Thanks for the fast reply.
    He's quite small and can't fly, so maybe not fully grown? he is out side I hoped his family would appear(no luck so far) and due to the large cat population in the area I used that cage.
    There's loads of hedges around I'll find a quiet cat free zone and release him.

He's back in the wild! Hope he's lucky:)

It is an adult bird and I'm sure will now be fine.

Well done!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,211 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mickey mac wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    He's quite small and can't fly, so maybe not fully grown? he is out side I hoped his family would appear(no luck so far) and due to the large cat population in the area I used that cage.
    There's loads of hedges around I'll find a quiet cat free zone and release him.

They're small when fully grown, smallest bird in Europe actually :)

• Advertisement

Even though he was in my cats mouth for some time, he didn't appear injured, his wings were working and he was full of energy, I like my cat but I don't like the way she tortures her prey, releasing it then recapturing it, awful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Maybe time to get a bell for the cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

baaba maal wrote: »
    Maybe time to get a bell for the cat?

I have quick release collar for my cat with 4 large bells. One bell generally not loud enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mickey mac wrote: »
    I like my cat but I don't like the way she tortures her prey, releasing it then recapturing it, awful to watch.

they all do it

nature can be cruel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is going to come across as a very loaded question, and i ask it as someone who does have a (house) cat ourselves; do you have any rights to prevent a neighbour's cat coming into your garden and preying on wildlife you are trying to attract?
    we've witnessed two bird kills in the last two years, so the actual figure could be quite a bit higher.

• Advertisement

this is going to come across as a very loaded question, and i ask it as someone who does have a (house) cat ourselves; do you have any rights to prevent a neighbour's cat coming into your garden and preying on wildlife you are trying to attract?
    we've witnessed two bird kills in the last two years, so the actual figure could be quite a bit higher.

No legal recourse I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is what we were discussing the other day - and hence my comment about it being a loaded question (and possibly not belonging in this forum); it stems from a discussion where a friend's cat was being attacked by another cat, in my friend's back garden. a comment was made that a farmer would be legally allowed take terminal action against a dog worrying sheep, so would the same apply to defending your pet (or wildlife) from an intruding cat.

as mentioned, we've a cat ourselves, so i am in no way, shape, or form endorsing such action. just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you can buy cat repellants, don't know if they work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

.. a friend's cat was being attacked by another cat, in my friend's back garden. a comment was made that a farmer would be legally allowed take terminal action against a dog worrying sheep, so would the same apply to defending your pet (or wildlife) from an intruding cat...
    The sheep situation is different, because the farmers livelihood may depend on his livestock breeding successfully.

A domestic cat or other pet is "a protected animal" in animal welfare law.
    As such the owner of the attacking cat could be committing an offence by "allowing" attacks to happen.
    PART 3
    Animal Welfare
    11.—(1) A person who has a protected animal in his or her possession
    or under his or her control shall, having regard to the animal’s
    nature, type, species, breed, development, adaptation,
    domestication, physiological and behavioural needs and environment,
    and in accordance with established experience and scientific
    knowledge, take all necessary steps to ensure that—
    (a) the animal is kept and treated in a manner that—
    (i) safeguards the health and welfare of the animal, and
    (ii) does not threaten the health or welfare of the animal
    or another animal,

and
    (b) all buildings, gates, fences, hedges, boundary walls and
    other structures used to contain the animal are constructed
    and maintained in a manner so that they do not
    cause injury or unnecessary suffering to the animal.
    (2) A person who fails to comply with this section commits an
    offence.
    But that might depend on whether the owner could "reasonably" prevent the attacks. Neutering? If the owner was guilty, then presumably they would have to pay compo for any vets bills.
    I doubt that a test case has ever happened, its so much cheaper to get a catapult.

Advertisement