Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on extension

Options
  • 29-03-2015 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all

I have attached a photo to help with my questions. Looking on the planning sites it seems to be that I can do what I am looking to without permission but just need a little clarification and guidance. I am looking to put a ground floor extension on the back of my house 40sq mts from the double doors and right window of the house outwards.

Question is, I am living in a semi d and looking to extend off the wall that meets my neighbours house. 1) is this possible 2) what do i need to consider in relation to the neighbour 3)Can fences be replaced with structure or do i need to keep a certain distance. 4) do i need neighbours permission.

I am aware of having to leave 25sq2 garden space which is fine.

I would be hoping to build a shed behind it also.

Much appreciated for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Get your neighbour's permission to remove the fence and replace it with the wall of your extension. If the face of your extension is built to the boundary and you have his consent you should be OK. Keep the face of the extension about 50mm off the boundary and build a parapet wall-then the overhang from the capping stones will still be within the boundary. If your roof is going to have guttering and soffits you need to keep 200mm off the boundary so the overhang of the gutter does not breach the boundary. The advantage of removing the fence is you can render the wall, you then simply reinstate the fencing if your neighebour wants it back up. Get any agreements in writing.

Your neighebour may also be considering an extension and then you can simply build two at the same time. Then you have a shared party wall at the boundary and the issues of the boundary are removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Involve an architect or engineer now beacuse you will need a Certificate of Exemption from Planning Permision when you sell or re mortgage later. Better to have it then then be seeking it then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. Yes but heed the warning above
    2. Wait until you have drawings and details and then discuss the boundary with your neighbour
    3. They can be replaced. BUT you need to discuss with your neighbour. Your arch/eng will advise.
    4. Not permission BUT you only have the right to build on your side of the boundary, that includes gutters etc. this is subject to the extension actually being exempted development, read this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057353449

Advertisement