Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a grinds school.

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I have been wondering whether it would be possible for a person with qualifications to teach at secondary level to set up a grinds school by themselves. If they could hire other teachers with equal qualifications, could they run a successful business that provides either a one-on-one or group tutoring service to secondary school students?

Would there be any legal complications of this? I am asking because I thought it could be an entrepreneurial idea with possible potential. Given that the founder of said grinds school has a respectable amount of teaching experience along with his qualifications and business know-how, what would s/he need in order to setup such a school?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ShoePolish wrote: »
    I have been wondering whether it would be possible for a person with qualifications to teach at secondary level to set up a grinds school by themselves. If they could hire other teachers with equal qualifications, could they run a successful business that provides either a one-on-one or group tutoring service to secondary school students?

Would there be any legal complications of this? I am asking because I thought it could be an entrepreneurial idea with possible potential. Given that the founder of said grinds school has a respectable amount of teaching experience along with his qualifications and business know-how, what would s/he need in order to setup such a school?

Basically a premises, it would be a very similar set-up to a music school (possibly look to co-rent rooms with them if they have free slots. if you could find out who their accountant is too!).
    Consider lesson packs/notes/branding/advertising/special offers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is at least one grinds outfit who seem to rent rooms in an existing school. I'm not sure if you'd easily get the full year's work out of it, but maybe enough money could be made from December on to make it worthwhile.

I would check out your responsibilities if you intend to be the employer of teachers you are using or if there is some mechanism by which every one is self employed, which brings its own implications for social welfare etc..

Advertisement