Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good spy thriller novels?

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any good (spy) thriller authors/books?

Authors I already have read/plan to:

Frederick Forsyth
    Ken Follett (only some his books interest me)
    Ian Fleming
    Alistair MacLean
    John Le Carré

I'm not just interested in spy novels, other thriller novels not unlike the above authors are welcome, for example political thrillers like The Day of the Jackal.

Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    The Honourable Schoolboy
    Smiley's People
    The Constant Gardener all by John Le Carré

The Eagle has Landed by Jack Higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I've read most of the stuff you've mentioned, so we seem to have somewhat of the same taste. I can recommend Jo Nesbo, what I have read of his so far has been quite entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'd recommend Len Deighton. He's a good thriller/espionage/war author.

He has a series about a Cold War British spy, Bernard Samson. The series is separated into three trilogies. Berlin Game, Mexico Set, London Match, Spy Hook, Spy Line, Spy Sinker, Faith, Hope and Charity. I find them very good.

He also wrote other spy novels with an unnamed spy. I liked "Funeral In Berlin".

Graham Greene's "Our Man In Havana" is good if you would like a humorous take on espionage.

"Fatherland" by Robert Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Daniel Silva has a few good ones imo based around the character of Gabriel Allon. A trilogy starting with 'The English Assassin' then 'The Confessor' and finally 'A Death in Vienna'

It's years since I read them. Main character is a spy fronting as an art dealer/restorer. The books deal with various aspects of the Holocaust but are set in present day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Aenaes wrote: »
    I'd recommend Len Deighton. He's a good thriller/espionage/war author.

He has a series about a Cold War British spy, Bernard Samson. The series is separated into three trilogies. Berlin Game, Mexico Set, London Match, Spy Hook, Spy Line, Spy Sinker, Faith, Hope and Charity. I find them very good.

Yep, those books are very good. Though I thought the quality of the third trilogy dipped a bit. There is also a linked book called Winter, which tells the story of the rise of the Nazis through two brothers from Berlin, from 1900 to 1945. It features some of the characters from the Games Set and Match Trilogy. I'd recommend the whole set of books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

VG31 wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good (spy) thriller authors/books?

Authors I already have read/plan to:

Frederick Forsyth
    Ken Follett (only some his books interest me)
    Ian Fleming
    Alistair MacLean
    John Le Carré

I'm not just interested in spy novels, other thriller novels not unlike the above authors are welcome, for example political thrillers like The Day of the Jackal.

Thanks a lot! :)

I have read at least one book by each of the authors above,and would definitely
    Recommend Craig Thomas as not to be missed if you like the above.Robert Ludnum has a few good books as well other than the Bourne identity series,but his are a lot more action oriented.THe Matarese Circle is my favourite by him.

Advertisement